We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

West Orange, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

I need input. Will be on both Kauai and Maui during our honeymoon in September. We plan to take a heli ride, but not sure which island to take it on. It may depend on # of days we spend on each island, but may also depend on everyone's input. Please give your recommendation. Thanks!

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

I have done helicopter rides on both islands. And while I really loved both of them, I think Kauai may have been my favorite. Kauai has a beautiful, colorful canyon and many waterfalls, as well as claim to the "wettest spot" in the world. I think you will enjoy.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

I also have done a helicopter tour of both Maui and Kauai and if I had to pick only one it would definitely be Kauai. I love Maui also, but to me Kauai is more spectacular from the air. It is absolutely breathtaking. Do it in the morning to avoid afternoon clouds and rain.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

We have done the heli tour of kauai twice. So much to see on the Garden Island. Maui is beautiful, also much to see, but if you have to select just one place Kauai, without question. All the best......

US
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

Kauai is by far the more spectacular of the islands, so you definitely do the helo tour there. I recomend going with Inter-Island, which everybody seems to agree is the best company. I loved our trip with them.

Albert Lea...
Level Contributor
139 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

Does anyone have a favorite helicopter company they use on Kauaii?

Georgia
Level Contributor
436 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

We've done a helicopter ride on both islands and by far I would suggest going on Kauai. We used interisland doors off helicopter and it was breathtaking. No doors means no glare in you photos. In Maui there was some kind of noise prohibiting that meant a lot of the flight was off of the coast and not actually over the land and just wasn't nearly as good to us. We really like interisland. It is supposed to be the ones that they use for rescue missions. Be sure and dress warmly. I had a light coat on and jeans and was still shivering. They also offer some sort of longer flight that of course costs more that includes stopping at a remote waterfall and swimming there for a little while if you like and having a small lunch. Anyway congratulations on your honeymoon. We just got back Jan. 14 for our 30th anniversary and couldn't thinks of a more wonderful and romantic place. Our anniversary night we ate out at the Beach House in Poipu in Kauai. You can read up on it under the restaurant section of tripadvisor. If you decide you're interested I would make a reservation about a month ahead of time and then confirm it again about a week beforehand. Let them know that it is your honeymoon when you call and they usually give you a card signed by all the staff when you get the bill. It's a nice souveneir. They don't open till 5:30, but try to get there by 5 to get a window seat. Sunsets there are usually very beautiful. it is rather expensive, but my husband had the mahi mahi and I had a pasta dish and we split a dessert and had tea for under $l00. Well again congratulations!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,224 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

Kaua'i, hands down. I like to use Jack Harter, who started the whole thing.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

I couldn't find my info on which helicopter company we used on Kauai, but I do remember that there WERE doors on it. My pictures turned out great!! The pilot said to hold your camera close to the window to avoid glare. My favorite picture I had blown up and framed and is hanging in our gameroom. It was a great trip! (If I remember correctly, it may have been a BLUE colored heli, but I wouldn't swear to it. ) I did purchase a VHS tape after the ride, but I no longer have a VHS recorder hooked up (go figure!), so I can't view it, and the name of the company is not on the tape.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

I couldn't find my info on which helicopter company we used on Kauai, but I do remember that there WERE doors on it. My pictures turned out great!! The pilot said to hold your camera close to the window to avoid glare. My favorite picture I had blown up and framed and is hanging in our gameroom. It was a great trip! (If I remember correctly, it may have been a BLUE colored heli, but I wouldn't swear to it. ) I did purchase a VHS tape after the ride, but I no longer have a VHS recorder hooked up (go figure!), so I can't view it, and the name of the company is not on the tape.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter Tour - Kauai or Maui?

Sorry about the double post.....I "hate those back buttons!"