We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what size car for Maui

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
what size car for Maui

Hi for touring around Maui (first timers) what size car would be best for 2 people? Economy, compact or mid. We have no idea what the terrain is like. Does it get really steep & hilly? I don't want to have to get out and push! Thanks.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what size car for Maui

Are you picking it up at the airport when you arrive? You will need to consider how much luggage you have. If you each have 2 pieces with no golf clubs, a mid-size would be my choice so you would have a bit smoother ride than something real small. Most every where you would go will be paved so no need for a Hummer. Have fun.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what size car for Maui

A compact is usually our choice for 2.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what size car for Maui

Compact should be fine. This trip we reserved a SUB-Compact and got a Chevy Monte Carlo -- go figure. Small is actually better IMO.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what size car for Maui

Thanks everyone.

My hubby and I were picking up a car in Kaanapali Beach the day after we arrive as we're going to be pretty tired from a long haul from Sydney and want to shuttle it from the airport. We will have 2 big bags (for all our ... oops I mean MY shopping in Waikiki later - coming to Maui first).

We would only be needing to put the bags in getting back to the airport as we are staying at the one condo for 4 nights .

Reading PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what size car for Maui

We went and had a Chevy Impala for 2. Much too big. The parking is really tight everywhere you go so the smaller the better. If you can fit all your luggage in the trunk and back seat in an economy, then go for that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what size car for Maui

Thanks Ishade

I will take that on board. Cheers from downunder.

Jacksonville, FL
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what size car for Maui

Any thoughts on the type of car we would need to trek up Haleakala? I would like to rent a convertible for the experience, but my wife is concerned that it couldn't handle the ride up. Any thoughts?

midwest
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: what size car for Maui

Aloha. Any rental car will make to the top of Haleakala without a problem.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: what size car for Maui

Haleakala seems about as wide as it is tall. Not steep grades like the Rockies.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
755 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what size car for Maui

Rent a convertible, leave the top down, and HAVE FUN. You can't lose!!! We rented through Priceline and ended up paying $21/day for a new Mustang convertible from Hertz. We were so excited and made it all over the island -- back and forth to Hana, backroads, the works.