We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokai with toddlers

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Molokai with toddlers

We are thinking of spending 5 days on Molokai with a one and three year old. We mainly plan on playing at the beach and low key walks. Does anyone recommend this island for toddlers?

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokai with toddlers

I'd say you will have a good trip if you are willing to work for it. You're in the right place to get some information as things change on the island and people here can give up to date information. You probably already know that there will not be a rack of '101 Things to do on Molokai' magazines at the airport baggage claim.

Papohaku beach on the west end will let you have the longest beach walk in the state on golden sands but it is often too rough to swim at. A few minutes drive down the coast will take you to Dixie Maru beach which is a good swimming beach.

Have you been to some other Hawaiian islands? It is definately low key but that is why many of us like it.

Edited: 27 October 2010, 05:08
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokai with toddlers

May I ask why you picked this island? Are you planning on takiing the flight from Oahu or bracing the ferry from Maui? Sorry I don't see it as a great island to take my little ones.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokai with toddlers

I think you'd be better off with another island, maybe Kaua`i or Maui. Moloka`i is not the most convenient of the islands.

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokai with toddlers

we are spending our first week in Honolulu (for a work conference) and want a more laid back, relaxing week after. We have been to Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Oahu and Maui are too busy and developed for my liking. Spending our first week in Oahu will give us more than enough time to see kid-friendly sites (aquarium, etc). Before children, my husband and I did a lot of travelling and really enjoyed places a little off "the beaten track" (ie Thailand, Laos, Costa Rica, etc). Should we consider the Big Island instead? Is Molokai a safe place?

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokai with toddlers

when you say we'll have a good trip but it will 'require some work' and Molokai is not the most convenient, what do you mean by that?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,116 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molokai with toddlers

For various reasons, Molokai took a step back from tourist development some years ago. When the posters say the island is not the most convenient, they may be referring to the fact that the tourist infrastructure that makes travel convenient is largely lacking on Molokai. There are limited places to stay, relatively few places to shop, few restaurants, and few services. It's not all that easy getting there, either.

Usually I recommend Lanai to people looking for a relaxed, undeveloped island. It has great hiking, great snorkeling, and absolutely no hustle and bustle. The two 4 Seasons hotels are both terrific, and they, along with the tiny Hotel Lanai, are virtually it for lodging. However, the kids are too little for hiking or snorkeling, and I don't know how you would feel about being cooped up in a hotel room, as opposed to a condo, for a week.

What are you hoping to do during the second week? Do you plan on hiring a babysitter?

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Molokai with toddlers

Hi we just came to Oahu couple days ago. We also travelling with toddlers - our daughters who are 1.5 and 2.5 years old. We picked Oahu because we've never been here before. We didn't want to stay in busy Honolulu and in hotel so we decided to find a quetet area here and rent a house. We found the perfect area - kailua! Its quiet here, nice little town, beautiful new and charming old houses. We are staying at an older simple house because we didn't want our kids to destroy a beautiful nice house with nice things in it ;)

Its been rainy the first couple days but now it nice and should be very sunny by the end of the week and all next week.

We walk to beach every day, only 7 min walk. We go to lanikai beach. We decided to stay here because the beach has very soft white sand kids love playing with. The same beautiful sand is in the water and it doesn't get too deep too soon. No strong waves here because of the reef and 2 little islands in the distance.

Kailua beach park is very nice for staying with kids also. It is safer than lanikai because there are life guards there, also toilet and shower I believe.

If you decide to find a vacation rentals try going to www.vrbo.com and contact some owners, ask for a discount. If their house is empty they ll be eager to rent it to you now.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Molokai with toddlers

Aloha thegups,

I'll stand up and say go to Molokai! We love it there. The peace and quiet with out of the way places to explore. Lots of empty beaches to explore too. Our two year old grandaughter came and stayed with us a few years ago and loved it. She played on the beach daily, and it was extremely safe. We have found the locals to be very friendly and never once felt unsafe. I think when the other posters are saying it's not convenient for tourists that they are referring to shopping. True, there are no big box stores or Hilo Hatties but I've seen that you've been to the other islands so I'm sure you've got all of that out of your system and just want to relax.

Enjoy your trip with your little ones and if there are any questions I can help you with regarding where to shop for groceries etc., please feel free to ask. I will be online for the next few days then will be flying off to return to our wonderful little piece of heaven on Molokai!

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Molokai with toddlers

How difficult is it to get to Molokai from Honolulu? Are flights delayed/cancelled? Where would you recommend staying? We just want some beach time and some time to dedicate to family time. When the kids are older, we will be in search of more activities but for the moment all they want is nice sand and a pool or calm cove to splash around in.

where would we go to get groceries (we want to stay in a condo so we can prepare most of our own meals)?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Molokai with toddlers

Kaleberg is right on about what I meant by "not the most convenient."

Get answers to your questions about Molokai