We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokai Day Trip

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Molokai Day Trip

Hello Fellow Travelers,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Maui this August.We would also like to visit Molokai. We were planning to do a day trip with the ferry. After a little research, I wonder if we should stay overnight?

If we are just there for one day is it necessary to rent a car?

There are flights that are comparable in price to the ferry. Is one better than the other? Is there an opportunity to see "wildlife" in the water from the ferry?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokai Day Trip

You will need a car for sure to see the island. If price is the same, take a plane and save a little time. No whales yet in August. I like the simplicity of Moloka'i...stay the night and take your time.

Edited: 29 July 2011, 03:33
Kailua Kona Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokai Day Trip

Cab I take a ferry from Maui? Can I go to Lanai from Molokai?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokai Day Trip

Yes, you can take the ferry from Maui to Molokai. No, a ferry doesn't go from olokai to Lanai but you can take a flight from Molokai to Lanai. ave a great trip!

Honolulu, Hawaii
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokai Day Trip

So do people think one night is necessary? Would it be a waste to just do a day trip?

I'd like to go soon.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokai Day Trip

We did a day trip once. Only had time for the Kalaupapa overlook, Coffee plantation, and we drove the coast to Halawa valley. We also went to Purdy's Macadamia nut farm.( wonderful guy). No time for beaches or the entire west side.Wish we had another day. .

Edited: 10 August 2011, 04:40
Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
480 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molokai Day Trip

We did the day trip a few years ago, the ferry/car rental package. Took the ferry in, picked up the rental car, and started driving north to the overlook, west to the end, then back through town, and probably got 3/4 of the way to Halawa. We didn't bother with a restaurant meal (no time), but we picked up some junk food at a convenience store, for a snack.

The trip was an eye opener - so few people, and so little traffic. Paradise, without hordes of people; beautiful tropical beaches, all to yourself.

Some day we'll have to do it again, but stay at least a couple of nights. It would be a great chance to recharge the batteries, as its a nice, quiet place.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Molokai Day Trip

David,

If you live here in Honolulu, I would suggest a nice weekend getaway. We've been over there 3 times and it's such a nice way to get away from the hustle and bustle and relax. I can recommend a few condo's to rent!

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Molokai Day Trip

Thank you for all the responses. Very much appreciated.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Molokai Day Trip

Mango, did you ever to go Moloka'i? wondering how it went, if you spent the night, what you recommend etc....

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Molokai Day Trip

EastBC,

There was so much to see and do in Maui that we did not go to Molokai. I felt like one day in Molokai would really rush over a beautiful place. However, I would love to plan a return trip and schedule in a few days for Molokai. Happy planning!

Get answers to your questions about Molokai