We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Inter Island Flight Service?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Inter Island Flight Service?

Hello, we are going to Molokai from Maui in a couple weeks and haven't booked the short flight yet. In part because we were considering the ferry. We are leaning to the flight now for a variety of reasons.

We have a 4:25pm flight back to the mainland from OGG. I see Mokulele has a flight that arrives from MKK at about 3:25. This would be a good connection at home, but I am concerned about the schedule reliability for these smaller aircraft mixed with tropical weather.

Do people have a preferred airline when reliability becomes the most important factor? I think it would be worth more to pay for a reliable flight since missing our main ride home would end up being extremely costly.

thanks.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,027 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Inter Island Flight Service?

Aloha,

That's not enough time for a "legal" connection. In other words, Mokulele would not be responsible for anything if you don't make the mainland flight, and neither would the mainland carrier. The minimum window is 90 minutes.

I wouldn't fly with Mokulele anyway, though perhaps in time they will improve under the new ownership.

I'd do Island Air and allow 2 hours.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Inter Island Flight Service?

SW si correct again........that connection time is definetly NOT enough time. You never know about interisland flights being delayed due to weather or breakdowns. You don't need the stress about worrying about making your connection, and yes it could be very costly!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Inter Island Flight Service?

Agree that Island Air is your most reliable option, however MKK-OGG connections aren't convenient: using a flight date of approximately 2 weeks, the only non-stop departs Molokai @ 8:30 & arrives Kahului @ 8:55. This would give you time to rent a car & do some driving around/shop/have lunch.

However ,and this might seem like a joke, but if you want to do some sight seeing (not only Island aerial, but perhaps Humpbacks with luck), for only $16 more, Island shows Molokai to Lanai departing 10:15/arriving 10:25...on to Honolulu; arriving 11:15. You would have time for lunch at the Kona Brewing Company (we're scheduling our connecting flight home to allow an extra hour; the Kahlua Pork quesidillas are great/my wife loves their crab cakes). The flight from HNL departs 1:30 and arrives 2:05.

An added advantage to this would be that Island Air has interline baggage transfer agreements with all the major carriers. If you decide to fly with Mokulele, it would probably be a good idea to check with your airline to see if the have a baggage agreement with Mokulele.

Also, keep in mind, when considering time between planes in Maui, that all the "puddle jumpers" use the commuter terminal ( see OGG layout: spotlighthawaii.com/spotlightPDF/WebMap/Maui… ). This means you will need to go through security to get to the main gates.

Lacking the above, I'd agree that 2 hours is a minimum. Problem is that the Mokulele flight preceding the 3:25 arrives at 9:25. However Pacific Wings has a non-stop arriving 2:20. I've never flown with Mokulele, but have used Pac Wings several times with satisfactory results...however, there seem to be on-going complaints about Pacific Wings here on TA; it would be prudent to initiate a thread for current input on reliability & see if PAC Wings interlines baggage.

Just an imo; given the uncertainties, you might want to consider something along the lines of 4 days at your original Maui destination/time on Molokai/return to Maui & spend a couple of nights in Hana. A 4:25 departure would enable a relaxing drive back up the coast. To me this would lower the apprehension factor a bunch.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Inter Island Flight Service?

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. Particularly it is nice to know that the puddlejumper flights will arrive in a different terminal at OGG. Hopefully security for interisland is not quite the TSA nightmare that the rest of the country is.

We are locked into a reservation on Molokai for our departure day so we can't really change that. As early as it is, the 5:30am ferry back to Maui may be a better bet with a good part of the day on Maui to do as we choose prior to the flight back home. Probably a nice way to see the sunrise as well.

5. Re: Best Inter Island Flight Service?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Molokai