We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Da ferry

Boston
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Da ferry

Our friends left early this morning to catch the ferry over to Maui for a couple of days. Well, they left to catch the 5 AM ferry and drove back up the driveway a little after 7:30 AM. We asked what happened. I guess the Molokai Princess is in dry dock so they had a smaller ferry taking it's place. They arrived on time, boarded, and set out for Maui. About two miles out the engine on the boat siezed up! The channel was really rough this morning because the trades are back in full fury. They sat and bobbed around and then crawled back into the harbor by using a small motor that they had for a backup. Yowza, she had taken a dramamine before leaving and still didn't feel too well when they returned. Poor guys. They were planning on having a good time shopping over on Maui :(. Oh well, that's the way the ball bounces. I told them that "it wasn't meant to be". It could have been worse, they could have been half way over way out in the channel.

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Da ferry

Hi DD .... bummer for your friends. That would've been a fun day for them, but like you said at least they weren't stuck way out in the channel. Hey ... instead of that, you could send them down the cliff on the mule ride for some more bouncin around'. That'll fix their wagons :) Anyway, hope they're having a good time on Molokai!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Da ferry

Yikes! I got seasick just reading this post! Poor people.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Da ferry

Nah, they're fine with it....that's life living on an island, you just go with the flow and re-plan your trip when the Molokai Princess is out of drydock. Going up to Maunaloa today. I want to check out what's new and different at the Kite Factory and then down to Kualakoi to check out the little store down there. Also going to see the big waves. The trades are really blowing, so should be fun. Have been up to the west end, but only to go fishing at Hale O Lono, but haven't gone to see what's new and different :).

Nothing really changes here on Molokai. Even the birds have their routines. We were outside this morning having coffee and I had to smile at the partridges. They have their morning routine as to where they walk. And there is a pair of minor birds that come at certain times of the day. I call them Heckle and Jeckle. One of them is missing a leg and it doesn't bother him/her. Just hops along beside her mate. Too cute. Simple life here on Molokai. As they say in Seattle, It's all good.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Da ferry

wow. that would not have been fun being adrift. glad it didn't spoil their day!

5. Re: Da ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Molokai