We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

I have been reading the boards here and there seems to be a lot of people so unsure where to visit, either Molokai or Lanai? I have done some research and am aware they are both very small and remote islands. My question is to someone who has taken children to either island. I am wanting to take my 12 year old son for 1 week in late November or early December. I would like to choose the island that has the better beaches (white sand, tropical and being able to swim). Obviously, don't care about nightlife and big fancy hotels and restaurants. Just a beautiful spot to enjoy the water and beauty of an unspoiled Hawaii. I have been to all the other islands, and Yes, Kauai is my favorite so far. Would love to hear from others that have taken a son or daughter and was there enough for them to do?

Thank you so much.

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

As much as I'd like to say Molokai would be the place for you...I'm not sure. Please look at ToHawaii.com - you can then view all of the beaches on Molokai. The vast majority, although gorgeous and plentiful, aren't great for swimming, especially in the winter months...If you do come, make sure you rent a place with a pool. Have fun planning.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,311 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

Molokai was the first Hawaii island I visited and has a special place in my heart.... But It really has very few nice, swimmable beaches and a lot less else to do. OTOH I am always surprised by people who think Lanai doesn't have anything to do. I've spent several trips there and find new stuff all the time, and my 11-year old loves it there. The snorkeling is much better than Molokai, and is particularly good in winter because the south and east facing shores have really nice reefs. Also there are a lot of good easy and moderate hikes, cultural sites, sporting clays, horseback riding, and a lot more dining options than Molokai. However, on Lanai you really need to rent a pricey Jeep or, better, a Hummer for at least part of your stay (also much loved by said 11-year old), and your lodging options are basically limited to two Four Seasons and the small Hotel Lanai.

You could consider splitting your stay, depending on how long you have?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

Hi there, Thank you for responding. It sure is not an easy decision. If it was just myself then it would be easy. In the end we may have to go back to Kauai, which is not a terrible thing, but sure would be nice to try out something new.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,311 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

If you have, for instance, 7 nights, you could spend five nights on Kauai and a couple on Lanai to check it out. It is never a bad thing to go back to Kauai! :-)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

You know what, that is probably what we will do, but I read somewhere that it is difficult to get a direct

flight from Kauai to Lanai, is this right? I am hoping not. I don't particularly want to fly back to Honolulu and start again.

Thanks for your help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

Hi folks! I'm just trying to work out an itinerary for our Hawaii trip in Nov 2014. Hubs & I will be travelling sans kids, so super excited to do 'adult' stuff!! We fly into Honolulu will stay couple of days on the north coast, then want to Island hop. We've decided on Maui and Harley hire there. But still deciding on Molokai or Lanai?! I'm think we might just do Lanai... and learn how to play golf before we get there, so we can have a go at the cracker course at the FS! QUESTVancouver... where did you go?!! What did you think of your choice?! SheaG loved your responses... figure you're in the "area" - you'd know what you're talking about!! :)

Cheers Lee-Anne (Australia)

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

Lee-Anne, you will want to make a new post on the general Hawaii board with your travel dates (and number of days/nights) and budget and interests and what you want to do besides golfing. Island hopping can eat up a lot of time and money.

By bumping up an older thread many people will miss your post down at the end and mistakenly respond to the very top one. Or they won't see it because it's on the Molokai board.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 05:22
8. Re: So Confused? Need Help in our Decision.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about Molokai