We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Topic
Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Sorry it's taken awhile to get this done.

…blogspot.com/2014/06/maui-and-molokai-day-9…

Boston
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Again, beautiful photos! Thanks for posting this, it made my morning. BTW, when you were up in the heights, yes, that was Lanai you were looking at across the channel. And when you went to Halawa Valley that was Maui you were seeing in the distance. I remember well the first time we took that drive to the East End. We were only there for a weekend and decided to do the whole island in one felled swoop. We had gone to Hana and circled the West end of Maui on that horrendous road. Well, when we drove that road on the East end of Molokai I was sweating bullets making it around some of those curves but after after going to the island for eight years during the winter you get used to it, somewhat:) The one curve that you took a picture of sometimes has a lot of local cars parked near the ocean side because that's where local kids like to surf. Now that's when it can be a bit harrowining to manuver that bend and praying that there's not another vehicle coming from the opposite direction! I'm happy that you got to go into Molokai Art from the Heart. It's a great shop with very friendly people to help you out. It's always nice to buy local made arts and crafts and it helps the people there on Molokai! Enjoy your stay on Molokai!

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Love your blog, and thanks for sharing your full day. Too bad you didn't stop at Papohaku beach ... It's an amazing 2-3 mile long beach! Well, maybe next time ;). Also enjoyed the photos from your east end drive to Halawa Valley. It is dramatic and twisty & one lane in parts, but in my opinion not as scary as the Road to Hana ... Mostly because 90% of the time you have the road to yourself! That's something that can't be said for the RTH where you can often be in a long line of cars ... Something that'll never happen on Molokai, haha. We love that drive and have done it many times.

Glad you got to meet Lono ... We just love him. Are you able to catch his solo show Tuesday nights (tonight!) at Paddlers Inn? Definitely go if you can ... He's a great musician and entertainer!

Thanks again for taking the time to blog your trip!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
563 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Wow, this is making me excited for our upcoming trip there!

What a nice photo journal of your visit. Looking forward to your next instalment!

Loved your aerial shots while on the small plane over. What type of camera were you using for those?

Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Beautiful! I want to go now!!

Washington
Level Contributor
532 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Love reading about Molokai since we will be there in October for the first time. How do you like Molokai Shores? We will be staying there also.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

I was under the impression that there weren't many swimming beaches on Molokai due to a surrounding mud flat on one side and rough ocean on the other.. Looks like you find several nice places for a dip. I particularly like the looks of Murphy Beach. Is that before the road gets hairy?

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Barbara ... Don't mean to butt in here, but the rough ocean conditions are mostly in the winter. More swimming to be found on Molokai in the summer. Although Puko'o beach is more protected and has reasonable conditions all year long. But Papohaku beach which is a no go in winter, is fine in spots in summer. These are just a few, but there are many others which are swimmable in summer.

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Mahalo for the nice comments! Three days on Molokai wasn't enough to do it justice. Maybe five would have worked for me for a first visit. The island seems small but you need to take some time.

Dolphindoodle:thanks for verifying it is indeed Lanai and Maui. I was pretty sure but they kind have similar outlines to me. I talked with Ani at Art from the Heart and bought a print of her painting at Kalawao. I hadn't been there yet but took her word for it as being the most beautiful spot. And it is!

Shatakwa: yes, Papohaku is something I need to do next time! And seeing Lono at Paddlers! As for the beaches, it is hard for a newbie to know where it is safe to swim. I certainly understand that seasons and conditions change and there are no lifeguards so you can't make a blanket statement about safety. Mistakes in those waters can get you into trouble!

Barbara: Murphy's is before the narrow curves. The Franco maps seem pretty good to show where things are.

cdnhorse: I just used my iPhone and a my little Fuji underwater camera. The views did the rest!

Rorygirl: the Molokai Shores was fine for us. It seemed to be a mix of tourists and local families. It is well kept up and almost everyone says hello as you walk around. I liked the central location. I loved our unit but can't say for the rest. I hope these posts (and of course the TA forums!) will help you have a great visit!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Yes, Ani at Molokai Art from the Heart is a very nice lady. She is a friend and I bought her book about fairies for my first grandaughter quite a few years back then bought another one last year for our six year old granddaughter. A fun read and I loved it that she signed it and wrote a wonderful message to each of the girls.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui an Molokai Day 9: Molokai end to end

Oh, I loved this post. What a beautiful, and breath taking ,in more than one way ,road trip. You have instilled an interest in planning a visiting. I'll take your suggesting to heart, that 5 days would be a good amount of time.

Get answers to your questions about Molokai
Recent Conversations