We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

Informed about Wailana coffee house, I am interested in knowing other casual diners with lunches/dinners under $10. Budgets suck!!

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

I hope this doesn't sound too tacky, but there are lots of fast food restaurants in the area. We are from a smaller town, so if we go that route, we just try to eat at the ones that we don't have here (like Burger King). Also, there are the chain restaurants like Chilis and Denny's, which we also don't have so if we are going for cheaper food we've gone there. There's even a chinese restaurant in the centre of the Internation Market Place that has a buffet that I'm sure was less than $10.00.

Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

doesn't sound tacky at all... i tjink i might sneak in one or two fast food meals! if ya think of any other local eateries that aren't very costly, lemme know! thanks again

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

Two local fast food places to try are Zippy's and L&L, both of which serve Hawaiian and Asian items as well as some American items. I'm also a big fan of Ezogiku, a noodle place on Kalakaua down at the Tiffany's end -- very good noodles and gyoza. I also like the Mexican stand at the International Marketplace food court.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

sure...I always do one or two very cheap meals a day so I can splurge on one meal a day. I had spam and egg platter at Mcdonalds, coffee and fruit at starbucks at the marketplace, altho their coffee stinks! I had cereal and milk that I bought from the ABC stores for the other mornings. Breakfast for me was cheap. Lunch, same thing except for the last day I splurged at Bubba Gump. I didn't find the Hawaiian meals all that fantastic, say like going to New Orleans and eating cajun or going to Puerto Rico and eating latin cuisine, even off the street. You'll be fine. Plan a lu'ua, enjoy some meals from the trucks. Wish I had done that, but I was walking or bussing it and finding one of those wasn't high on my list.

good luck

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

Comoxbox, you'll appreciate this. I had an Entertainment book and we used one of our coupons for 2 very good salads from Jack in the Box. (We don't have Jack in the Box in Canada). Along with the KD I cooked on the stove in our "kitchenette combo" room, our dinner for 5 that night came to a big $5.20 lol! That offset the cost of 2 ice creams from Coldstone Creamery, which cost about $14 - ouch!

We always try to alternate eating in and eating out, especially when we have the kids along. Just so you don't think I'm completely cheap, note that we also ate at Dukes, Cheesecake Factory, Shorebird, and Keonis.

Buckley, Washington
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

The Aqua Cafe in the food court below the waikiki shopping plaza had a good loco moco. There were a number of other inexpensive places to eat there, but I didnt try them.

Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

Thanks for the replies!

bc_canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

aloha... Jack in the Box is cheap... they have a good selection of 99 cent meals..

Also there's Buffet 100 in Ward Warehouse. Another buffet at the Holiday Inn. Sam Choy's BLC (Breakfast. Lunch and Crab) is a little bit pricier.. but huge portions! Pizza Hut has some personal size pizzas for less than $5. Check the freebie visitor's guides (available everywhere) for discount coupons... the food is not fantastic... but cheap. Also there are some food stalls at the back of the Intl. Mkt. Place which are relatively cheap.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

The Makai Market food court on the ground floor (ocean side) of the Ala Moana Shopping Center, just outside of Waikiki, is one of the best in the world with a wide selection of food types in a clean facility with lots of seating. Most meals would be $5 to $8.

The food court of the International Marketplace in the heart of Waikiki also has an incredibly diverse selection of ethnic and American food, though a step down from Makai Market. Again, most meals would be in the $5 to $8 range.

THe best selection of inexpensive restaurants in Waikik are located on Kuhio Avenue between Seaside and Kaiulani Avenues. There are American (Denny's & Chili's), local-style plate lunch (L&L), Vietnamese, Japanese Curry, Italian, Thai, St. Germaines bakery, and old standards like Jack-in-the-Box and Subway.

Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: waikiki cheap eats ?!?!?!?

How far out of waikiki do i go to get to that food court? Ala Moana? Please dont tell me it's an $8 cab ride!