We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
416 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

Hi, I am trying to chose between the three of these! I am not interested in other sightseeing so distance from anything else does not matter. I am only concerned about staying at the resort and enjoying the sights and facilities there. From reading, I get the impression Kahala is outdated. Turtle Bay doesn't seem to be rated as high but the scenery and location seem gorgeous. What about the Ihilani?

Any feedback about only these three is appreciated!

Thanks!

Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

All of the resorts you have mentioned are very nice. I don’t believe the Kahala Hotel is as out-dated as you think. I think you would enjoy your time there.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
848 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

Stayed at the Turtle Bay many years ago, before the major refurbishing (I believe it was a Hilton then); to long ago to accurately rate the rooms/service, etc.. Recently stayed at Marriott's Ko'Olina, on the same property as the Ihilani. Loved the Marriott's "complex", several nice restaurants (including Roy's) and four nice man-made coves for swimming/sunbathing (not so great for snorkeling though). The Ihilani is closer to Honolulu/Waikiki Beach and closer to more restaurants (on site and in the nearby town of Kapolei). The Turtle Bay is on the North Shore, putting you close to the well-known beaches (Sunset, Waimea Bay, Banzai Pipeline) and to the town of Haleiwa. Won't help a lot, but I posted a review of the Ko'Olina; with some photo's of the Marriott "complex".

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
416 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

Thanks! Where do you think the setting and scenery is the nicest?

Escondido...
Level Contributor
848 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

The North Shore, IMO. The Turtle Bay puts you right there; if I can remember correctly, the drive from the Marriott resorts was around 30-45 minutes.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

Turtle Bay Hilton isn't in the same league as Kahala. It's a great location, but it is 1970s construction and whatever they've done to update it isn't especially effective.

If you are coming to Hawaii to stay put in one resort hotel I'd skip Oahu and try Four Seasons on Big Island. (Or on Lanai.)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

As much as I like Oahu for the many things to see & do, I agree with ChiSue that you would be better off on Maui.

Maui has some really nice resorts.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
416 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

Thank you! I have been to Maui and the Big Island already. We don't want to bother with the hassle of flying to another island after the long flight from Australia. Just want to stay on Oahu - someplace beautiful- away from Honolulu.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

I've reasearched hotels on Oahu for well over a year. I've read countless reviews. We are spending two nights at the Hawaiian Hilton Village, and then 5 nights at Turtle Bay. Yes, it seems as if the rooms are just average. What you are paying for and to ME enjoying the most is the location. I had friends who drove out there for me last summer, and she described it as a piece of heaven on earth. We leave May 5th, and I cannot wait.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

Hi, Dusty! Could you rate the Kahala and Ihilani as the OP asked? What about the one stuck over on the west side? Seems the OP doesn't want to leave the premises.

I'd bear the "hop" to get to a really lovely Four Seasons on any of the other islands. What's another hour when you've come so far and have such high expectations?

OP, how long will you stay?

LA
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which one - Turtle Bay, Kahala, or JW Marriott Ihilani?

Missshopper, i highly recommend Turtlebay. you can see some pictures on my slideshow on youtube.com, search goodtimes247.

see for yourself.