We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera

MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Camera

Has anyone had any problems with your camera's being wrecked because of taking pictures by the ocean? Someone told me their cameras have broken because of the exposure to the ocean air, also they said taking pictures by waterfalls with all the moisture has caused problems? I want to bring my digital camera with but not if these problems are going to happen?

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera

Never had any problems. Water falls....just don't get the camera wet :-)

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera

We have never had any problems with our regular digital camera but both times we took our Canon Digital Video Camcorder to Hawaii it wouldn't work.

It stopped working when we were there in September but when we got home and let it sit for awhile and put in the head cleaner it seemed to work again.

We were just in Hawaii again this month and after about 2 minutes of recording it went crazy again, head cleaner wouldn't even work. It just says eject tape and won't close. Now it doesn't work at all. Either this is a big coincidence (and it's a faulty camera) or the ocean air and humidity did not agree with it.

I think we will be utilizing our 3 year warranty

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera

I was also going to bring the camcorder but now I don't if I should. Anyone else have any problems with cameras and camcorders?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera

Sand is your biggest enemy. It can get in there easier than you think. So be careful, and keep it stored in it's case when you'r eonthe beach.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera

My camera might have been a lemon from the get go, who knows. Don't regret not bringing your camcorder, you could miss some great footage. It is probably just a fluke our camera did this on both trips.

TEXAS
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera

Got back last week....two of our 35 mm cameras kept messing up. one had messed up but then started working again. then at the Pali lookout both cameras went out. one never worked again, one did later. ??? our digital camera did not mess up, and our camcorder did not either. last trip the camcorder did not mess up either, but on one occasion at a beach in texas my camcorder went kapluey and i had to put it in the shop!

Michigan
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera

Yes, I did have some damage to my 35mm from sea spray and sand as it was a very windy day. Protect the camera as best you can when by the ocean. I learned a valuable lesson from that experience though.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,754 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera

Never had any problems with either my 35mm or camcorder. I suspect improper maintenence is the culprit here. Sand is evil stuff so take care when on the beach. As far as the air I doubt it. Yeah salt water is corrosive but a quality camera should have no issues.

If you are really concerned then buy those disposable underwater camera's. They will allow you to take pictures rain or shine and they do work out of the water as well as in it.

If you are on or near the water put your camera in one of those zip lock bags when not in use, it will help protect it.

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera

I don't think Lovin' Maui's problem is a fluke. We have had the very same problems multiple times in the Caribbean and they usually end up with us only taping half of our trip. We miss many valuable memories and are completely frustrated at this point.

We have even tried different camcorders. We had a Sony ViewCam High 8, and it malfunctioned in the ways already described. We then bought a JVC miniDV...only to have it work for awhile and then go beserk on our last cruise. We've had problems in wet spots...Jamaica and St. Thomas and drier spots like Mexico and Cayman. We have tried the plastic bags and the acclimation steps...but nothing works full proof. Always the same wet/condensation/humidity problem that causes the camera to stop working for days/weeks.

We are at our wits end...b/c we feel like we have tried every alternative. We are considering buying the new video recorder that records directly to DVD (no tape involved), but I'm not hopeful that there will be any difference. Does anyone know whether these new DVD camcorders are different? Or does anyone have other suggestions? Surely there is a consistent and dependable way to record our Caribbean/beachy vacation. HELP!!!!!

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera

I don't think Lovin' Maui's problem is a fluke. We have had the very same problems multiple times in the Caribbean and they usually end up with us only taping half of our trip. We miss many valuable memories and are completely frustrated at this point.

We have even tried different camcorders. We had a Sony ViewCam High 8, and it malfunctioned in the ways already described. We then bought a JVC miniDV...only to have it work for awhile and then go beserk on our last cruise. We've had problems in wet spots...Jamaica and St. Thomas and drier spots like Mexico and Cayman. We have tried the plastic bags and the acclimation steps...but nothing works full proof. Always the same wet/condensation/humidity problem that causes the camera to stop working for days/weeks.

We are at our wits end...b/c we feel like we have tried every alternative. We are considering buying the new video recorder that records directly to DVD (no tape involved), but I'm not hopeful that there will be any difference. Does anyone know whether these new DVD camcorders are different? Or does anyone have other suggestions? Surely there is a consistent and dependable way to record our Caribbean/beachy vacation. HELP!!!!!