We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
Save Topic
Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

"Farmers’ Market Bathroom Shortage Has People Squirming"

Some snippets:

"Up to 6,000 visitors surge into the farmers’ market by the slopes of Diamond Head each Saturday, yet there are only four public bathroom stalls in a comfort station next to the market to serve them.

The market has grown from a popular weekend gathering for local residents into a tourist attraction with 60 percent of the visitors from out of town and mostly tourists from Japan."

" “The Hawaii Farm Bureau, Kapiolani Community College and the tourism industry have kicked this problem around long enough,” Flynn continued. “Bus after trolley unload (hordes) of tourists all morning long which completely overwhelm the event … It is time to bring in portable toilets for this event until renovations can be done.” "

"Some critics think the tour companies should be pitching in to pay for portable toilets or to help expand the existing restroom facilities."

"The city built the restroom in 2006 to serve as a comfort station for bicyclists and other recreational users. It was never intended to be the main bathroom for thousands of people coming to a farmersʻ market."

civilbeat.org/2017/…

Not a pretty story....

Not a new story.

16 replies to this topic
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

Appears that the excrement has finally impacted the oscillator at KCC.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

It was insanely busy when we went this year. The first time we went a couple of years ago it was fine, the crowds were like the crowds we'd experience in markets here, totally manageable, but this year we really noticed the difference. I felt for the locals who'd been going there regularly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

Sadly our visit was the same, we arrived early, but very crowded, unpleasantly so. Many bus loads there.

Almost impossible to walk thru the area as a couple and while we didn't use the "facilities", there was a definite problem regarding same.

While we enjoy markets, we just stick to the little farmers markets in Waikiki now.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

Yes, it's been a growing problem.

Somebody's making a major mint dumping all these busloads of tourists off here and other spots around the island.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,006 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

Hahaha!

Evidently, busloads of tourists has been a problem (as far as toilets) for years! And it is just now being addressed?

KCC Farmers Market has been popular for years!

In the past five years or so it has been a popular stop for commercial tours. Can't say I blame the commercial tours for adding the stop for their tours! KCC Farmers Market is great!

But to take years to realize there is a problem with the number of toilets given the attendance growth?

Edited: 18 September 2017, 02:14
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

<"Evidently, busloads of tourists has been a problem (as far as toilets) for years! And it is just now being addressed?">

Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone is going to address it in a meaningful way...

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,006 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone is going to address it in a meaningful way...:

Hahaha!

I've been to many concerts, sport venues, etc., and when there is a full house the same problem has existed for 40+ years.

I've done more dancing while in line during waits for toilets than any other time!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

I'm just glad I didn't have to sit down and take ah........ah..........picture of Oahu. It's a lovely Isle! Dusty! I've done that dancing and waiting in line. It's very painful! And then everybody is buying nachos and hot dogs, and heading back out on the field, while thougst waits for the open porcelain receptacle.

Edited: 18 September 2017, 03:34
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

"Go" before you go.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market

Looks like business as usual......major crowds....funky facilities.

Reply to: Toilet Trouble at KCC Farmers' Market
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted