We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Shoes?

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Water Shoes?

Searched but couldn't find the answer...

Does one need water shoes for the ocean? Is it rocky or sandy?

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
53,559 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Water Shoes?

Depends on where you are and how sensitive your feet are. I lived in Oahu for close to 10 years and found no need for them. Same with Maui and Kauai!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Water Shoes?

We wear them inside our fins when we snorkel. Protects the top of my foot from rubbing and blistering but I might just be a bit of a snorkel diva. The beach directly in front of the Outrigger Reef is quite rocky. You might want them there. Otherwise you should be good

Edited: 18 September 2018, 02:54
Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Water Shoes?

If you go directly to the beach by Duke's restaurant it is all sand; however, if you go to Hilton Hawaiian Village, it is rocky. You can skip the water shoes if you go to the beach by Duke's restaurant or Duke's statue.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Water Shoes?

As WinstonWaikiki says, it really depends on where you are. The water right in front of the Outrigger Reef starts out perfectly sandy, but after about 6 -8 feet, it becomes all rocks and I found it very uncomfortable without water shoes. The Outrigger Waikiki is all smooth sand and the in front of the Royal Hawaiian, not only is it smooth sand, but the sand bar goes out about a half way to Tahiti.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
507 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Water Shoes?

It depends on where you are what yo plan to do. We buy them to use when we go snorkeling at Sharks Cove. Other than that, we don't use them any where else. For us, beaches there are sandy enough to not need them but all depends how sensitive your feet are. IMO, if you are in Waikiki, you don't need them.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
718 reviews
6. Re: Water Shoes?

Hilton Hawaiian Village is considered Waikiki? If it is then I highly recommend water shoes for that area. I didn't have them last visit and it was just painful to move around in the rocky bottom even just at water's edge.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
53,559 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Water Shoes?

Yes, the Hilton Hawaiian Village is in Waikiki!!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Water Shoes?

As others have stated, it just depends what beach you're planning to go to. Parts of Waikiki beach are a bit rocky and I would recommend water shoes.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Water Shoes?

I figured better safe than sorry, so I purchased a pair for ~30 that actually are comfortable enough to wear as walking/ light hiking shoes. And they actually look like runners, so no one will know the difference. Found them on Amazon and I'm super impressed with them. Comfortable and weigh just about nothing, which is great for travel! I'll report how they hold up, but that'll be a few more months...

Spotsylvania...
Level Contributor
55 posts
101 reviews
10. Re: Water Shoes?

Get water shoes, there was a few beaches I did not put mine on and wished I had.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Reply to: Water Shoes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted