We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

Napoleon, OH
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oahu Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

This will be our one and only trip to Hawaii. My mother has a lifelong dream of swimming with dophins and we promised her we would make sure she gets to do that. She is in her 60s and quite heavy. I need some advise which one to look into while we are on Oahu?

Also, my husband wants to visit Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th. I realize that is probably the busiest day of the year to go - How early do we need to get there?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

We just returned from 2 weeks in Oahu. They were the best 2 weeks I have ever had on vacation and when I have more time I will give a complete trip review.

I can't give any suggestions about the dolphins, but if you have the time and your husband is really interested in the history of what happened on Dec. 7th, I would highly recommend the "Home of the Brave Tour". Our guide was named Olav and if you can get him, you will have a tremendously informative and enjoyable tour of several sites that were attacked that day and the brave people involved. We were picked up at our hotel about 6am and returned to the hotel about 2pm. The website is below is you want more info.

http://www.pearlharborhq.com/

Napoleon, OH
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

THANKS! Any other suggestions for things to do/avoid while we are there?

Has anyone swam with dolphins in Hawaii? I'm trying to research this for my mom - it seems really important to her.

Oxon Hill, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

Although I haven't done the dolphin thing yet, I have checked into it. The 2 places I was interested in was at the Kahala Mandarin Hotel or Sea Life Park. For some reason, I was drawn to both of them.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

I did the Dolphin Quest at Kahala Hotel. I really liked it. Get good photo ops with dolphin -- touching, kissing, etc, no exertion since mainly the dolphin come to you.

There is also swimming with dolphins at SeaLife Park and swimming with wild dolphins. Others have done these and enjoyed themselves. Although the swimming with wild dolphins in open ocean might not be best choice for your mom. So stick with either Dolphin Quest or SeaLife Park.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
395 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

I did the dolphin encounter at Sea Life Park on our last trip in 2003 and had a great time! I would highly recommend them, I may even do it again on our upcoming trip..

6. Re: Oahu Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 23:18