We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

My husband and I (mid-30's) are going to a conference at the Hyatt Waikiki for 4 nights in July 08. This is our first trip to Hawaii. We can stay another 4 nights after the conference, but that's about it. We don't want to extend the entire trip at the Hyatt, but the big debate is whether to stay on Oahu or move on to another island. We'd both like to go to Kauai, but I'm concerned we just don't have enough time to make it worthwhile and I'm thinking we should just change locations on Oahu. I've looked at some condo's on the windward side of the island and the north shore as well.

What do you think? Is an additional 4 nights enough to go on to Kauai, or should we save that for a return trip?

If we do extend the stay on Oahu, is the windward side a good option for a quieter, more traditional Hawaiian experience?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

Kauai is fairly small & you can see most of the island in 4 days.

There is also a lot to see & do on Oahu & considering that you live on the west coast it should be easy for you to get back to Hawaii. So you ought to consider staying on Oahu this time & saving Kauai for a future trip.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

Thank you for both your response and the link. That's a wealth of information and I appreciate it very much. I'll have to comb through it to get it all, I'm sure.

For a first timer, would you recommend the windward side or the north shore?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

North Shore or Windward (east) side would be good.

Surf on North Shore will be fairly flat which would make for good snorkeling & swimming.

Windward side will be closer to most Oahu attractions.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

Sounds like either one would be okay, then. Picking a condo is the tricky part... it feels like a shot in the dark.

PA
Level Contributor
484 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

We are also going to Oahu for four nights and then going to kauai for four nights. If it's time, then I'd say yes, you definitely have time. that being said, this will be our third trip to Oahu. I love Oahu and there is a lot to see. As this is your first time in Oahu, I would agree with the others that you should stay on the island. but if you have your heart set on seeing Kauai, then go for it.

As far as picking a condo, when I was looking for a place in Kauai, I checked all the rental sites, VRBO, etc. You then can email or call the owners with questions, and then you can check on this site for recommendations and to see if others have stayed in that unit.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

Thanks, suzysunshine. I was all sold on staying on Oahu for the entire trip but my husband is digging in his heels about the last half on Kauai. It's good to know we can make that work.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

I, too, would stay on Oahu. Get a car and explore. Oahu is much, much more than Honolulu. Our first trip to Kauai we spent a full week and idid not scratch the surface.

You live in Oregon, so making a return trip is relatively easy. Plan for another, longer trip to Kauai (and Maui!) at another time -- and when you can avoid the summer crowds.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,905 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

The 'rule' about Kauai is: Winters, stay south; Summers, stay north. However...since you only have four nights, you might want to 'stay middle' around Kapaa if you want to tour. If you want to laze and stay put, we're back to 'stay north'! LOL Kauai is THE island for a helicopter tour. You can only see a portion via paved road because the island is so vertical.

The hotel at Princeville (north) will probably still be closed for renovation, but there are nice condos up there. (See vrbo.com to rent direct and know exactly what you are getting.) OTOH, the Hyatt at Poipu (south) is always popular -- if you want a hotel I'd chose it over the Marriott in Lihue (middle).

I hope you can get out of Honolulu for at least one day while on Oahu to see the east and north shores. Trouble with Oahu, IMO, is that there is little choice for lodgings outside Honolulu.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

I have a feeling we're going to end up on Kauai as DH really wants to go that direction. Who am I to argue with 4 nights in any part of paradise? Maybe we'll fly into Oahu a couple of days early to have more time to explore before the conference.

Thanks for the tips on the seasons and where to stay. As a first timer it seems like no matter how much I research there's still more to know. It's a bit overwhelming, so I appreciate the help very much.

10. Re: After the conference on Oahu, do we have time for Kauai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 10:19