We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

Bay Area
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

I know 50 First Dates with Adam Sandler and Drew Berrymore is one, any others that you like that remind you of the islands?

UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

Jurassic park, pearl harbour, wind talkers, one of the brady bunch films, Mighty Joe Young, oh and lost of course. There was one with Dolly Parton in too but cant remember the title...

Theres loads! And lots of them filmed at Kualoa ranch. :-)

Missouri
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

I love 50 First Dates!

There are lots of movies, especially old movies. Like Elvis's "Blue Hawaii" and the classics "From Here to Eternity" and "South Pacific". "Blue Hawaii" was partially filmed in Kauai at the old "Coco Palms" hotel. I love to watch the lagoon scenes from that movie.

I also love the first "Jurassic Park" and the scenes where they are flying into the island. Part of the helicopter scenes were shot of Maui, and the rest of the outdoor scenes were shot in Kauai.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

There is a web site listing all the movies filmed in Hawaii..from the early 1900's to today.

hawaiitravelnewsletter.com/videos/movies-mad…

Bay Area
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

Im not talking about FILMED in Hawaii, Im talking about movies that take place in Hawaii.

California, USA
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

I don't know of any movies that center on Hawaii. The TV show Hawaii 5-0 was not only filmed there - but took place there too!!

Linda

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,167 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

Hawaii

Blue Hawaii

Girls Girls Girls

Paradise, Hawaiian Style

From Here To Eternity

In Harms Way

Blue Crush

Ride The Wild surf

Gidget Goes Hawaiian

Pearl Harbor

Lilo And Stich

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Aloha Summer

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

Step Into Liquid is a great surfing documentary that profiles Hawaii for a good chunk of the movie.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

Dusty had a great list.

If you are looking at films that really give a good "Hawaiian" feel, my favorites are Blue Hawaii and Blue Crush.

Blue Hawaii is just about as cheesy as you can get, but it's a lot of fun to watch. I love seeing shots of Hawaii from 40 years ago, its so classic. Most of it was filmed on Oahu, and the last part was done in Kauai at the Coco Palms, which was damaged by Hurricane Iniki in the 90's, and hasn't been open since. There are still tour groups and weddings on the grounds, but the hotel is closed. There has been talk about renovations and reopening, but nothing concrete has happened yet.

I don't believe there are any tours on Oahu that are based on Blue Hawaii, however you can visit a lot of the filming sites, such as Waikiki, Haleiwa, and Hanauma Bay.

Blue Crush is one of my favorite movies. It's a bit hokey, but theres something about it I love. It's all about the surfng culture on the North Shore. It gives a pretty good representation of the culture and feel. The cinematography is absolutely spectacular, and some of the best surfing footage ever was filmed for this film. The director and producer are both surfers, so they gave a pretty accurate feel to the movie, unlike other surf girl movies like Gidget.

A lot of surf documentaries have scenes filmed on the North Shore of Oahu, or on Maui, at Jaws. The most popular are Riding Giants and Step In Liquid, which are common enough to be found at any Blockbuster(well, most anyways). Billabong's Odyssey might have some good scenes from Hawaii as well, but its been years since I've seen it, so it might not.

Marysville, Ohio
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

Magnum PI with Tom Selleck

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are some movies that take place in Hawaii?

Donovan's Reef