We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Melton, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

My wife & I are going to Ohua for the first time in June (can't wait) I can't decide between the OWB or HHV has someone stayed at both to give me some advice.

Both are about the same price on there website.

Thanks in advance to those that reply.

United States
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

The Outrigger is a really nice hotel, but for me it's main disadvantage is that it is really right in the heart of Waikiki and the beaches can get crowded. But this can also be a plus because you can save money on a car because you can walk to restaurants, etc.

I prefer the Hilton Hawaiian because although its beach is technically public, really only people staying at the hotel go there and it's never really that crowded. They also have a lot going on at the village so its nice to be a little more self contained.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

zeikah - I would choose the Outrigger. It's in the heart of Waikiki, close to shops, restaurants, public transportation, etc. Excellent food services at the hotel as well. The hotel is situated between two historically preserved hotels that are fun to visit. Again, an excellent location ... lots of beach there to choose from. Nice pool as well. Nothing fancy, but nice.

HHV is HUGE, kinda amusement-park like. A bit off the beaten path, not on the main Waikiki stretch. Great for kids and large conventions. Not at all attractive to us given the size and general craziness.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,338 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

You can easily walk form HHV to the center of Waikiki. There are shops & restaurants located throughout Waikiki. So one place doesn't have much advantage over the other.

I think HHV will be quieter, especially at night.

If you are going to be there for just a couple of days, then Outrigger Waikiki would be my choice. If you are going to be there longer, then HHV would be my choice.

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Just a note, remember the Sheraton Royal Hawaiian Hotel is closing its doors for remodeling sometime around the ending of May or early June. Whether constructions begins immediately or not, these factors should be taken into considerations especially if you are facing the Royal Hawaiian Hotel side.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

But the Royal Hawaiian is just renovation .. not construction, yes? I never thought of it as being a noisy thing. Actually, when we stay at the RH, the Outrigger (Duke's) is the major source of noise ...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

I agree with Dusty. HHV is a great spot and it's not right in the middle of the hustle bustle which by the way is a short walk away. Outrigger couldn't be more right in the heart of the action and it has one of the best bars in the city for tourists - Duke's. But it does get noisy and crowded. I would stay at HHV. Have fun!

7. Re: Outrigger Waikiki beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 08:18