We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

This was my first trip to Hawaii, but will definately not be my last. I went with my husband, my son,6, and my 4-year-old daughter. We had a direct flight from SLC on Delta which was great, but one warning. We did curb side check-in, but hadn't heard that they now charge $3.00 per bag. I guess the trick is to check in online and then drop your bags off curb side. It saves money. But, starting 1 May most of the major airlines are starting to charge $25.00 per bag. Well, you get one free and then anything additional is $25.00/each. Crazy.

Day 1: Picked up our rental car from Budget. I got a pretty great deal (I thought). I called around every few days to get the best deal and then would ask, is that the best deal? Well, I think I got it. :) The total ended up being $98.00 for a midsize for 6 days. There are shuttles that go to Budget/National/Dollar/Hertz, but we just got a cart and walked. It's not too far. We were pretty tired, so we just ate at the first restaurant we recognized that wasn't fast food, which was Outback. I was diagnosed with pneumonia the day before, so I can't tell you how the food even tasted. We checked into the Hale Koa, which has EXCELLENT rates (military only). Ours was $99/night, no tax. The rooms were simple, but the grounds were nice and it is a good location. Decent restaurants, too.

Day 2: We snorkeled at Huanama Bay. Beautiful area, but I was really suprised to see roosters and chickens on the beach. That was fun for my kids. We at some fast food and then hiked Manoa Falls. It was beautiful, but very muddy. We ate at Duke's that night, which my husband really liked. Again, I still wasn't able to taste food, but the scenery was amazing.

Day 3: Hiked Diamond Head. My kids did awesome on this hike! I was a little worried at first, but I was SOOOO proud of them every time I saw the look on the other hikers faces when they saw my little troopers on the trail. I wouldn't say it was easy, but very reasonable. We passed many older people that were having a difficult time with the stairs, but if you take your time, it is so worth it. They aren't doing the certificates anymore, but I want a t-shirt that says "I HIKED DIAMOND HEAD... with pneumonia!" Went shopping and swimming on Waikiki. ATe at PF Changs.

Day 4: Aloha Swap Meet. I really enjoyed myself here. I found a few things that I hadn't at the International Marketplace, but I don't think the prices were THAT much better. That afternoon we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. It was fun, but I wouldn't go back. I think my expectations were too high. Samoa was DEFINATELY the best. We did the luau and the night show. The luau food was not very good and I thought the entertainment was cheesy. We only stayed for 1/2 of the night show, because my kids had fallen asleep and it wasn't worth watching. I'm sure it would have gotten better towards the end, but I wasn't impressed.

Day 5: North Shore. I love North Shore and wish we would have spent more time here. We swam Waimea (I can't remember) Bay and the undertow was incredible. I wouldn't let my children go more than a foot away from me for fear they would get sucked out. We did see a sea turtle swimming just 4 feet off shore. We shopped and ate Matsumotos, which are even better than people say. They are awesome! We went to Lanai (I think that's right) Beach hoping to see the sea turtles on the beach. We saw about 10 of them swimming offshore, but none were on the beach. We ate pizza for lunch at Spaghettini's. It was okay. We rode the train at the Dole Plantation. The kids liked it. Their gift shop is huge and I learned how to properly pick/cut a pineapple. Ate at the Cheesecake Factory.

Day 6: Went swimming/surfing at Waikiki. Went to Dog's bail bonds on Queen Emma St. My idea, not my husband's. Nobody answered, but there is a gift shop around the corner, that was closed at the time. I was bummed. Shopped at Hilo Hattie's. Which is nothing special. Ate at Planet Hollywood. Drove to Kailua. Got Lanikai smoothies, yum. Drove to a small town called Waimalo, or something. Dive of a town, not much there. We ate plate lunches that were okay. Went to Hickam AFB to see if we could get cheap souvenirs, which we did. Dropped the car off at Budget, which was fast and easy and caught our flight at 10 pm. Very sad to leave Hawaii and come back to cold Utah weather. I know some of you will think that I am crazy for not visiting Pearl Harbor, but honestly, with my husband active duty military for more than 15 years, I just couldn't do it. Just the thought of going there gives me chill bumps and makes me teary. I am pumped full of pride for our service people and every time a civilian thanks my husband for his service I lose it, so I just couldn't go. I would have been a mess. And with his 3rd deployment in 3 years coming in a few weeks, I am a little more emotional than normal. :) My husband was stationed at Schofield Barracks in the early 90's, so he's already visited it several times. I hope all of you have a wonderful time on your trips! Thank you ALL for this great forum. It helped me a great deal when I was planning our trip.

Mahalo!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,040 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Very nice.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

wow..you guys manage to do alot with two little ones. I'm glad you had a wonderful time on Oahu.

We were married on Oahu 15 years ago...sigh

much good karma to your hubby...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Hi ChristiRose,

Thanks for the informative trip report and good tips.

You really got a good deal with Budget. Did you rent directly from them or through Costco?

How long did it take you to walk from the airport to Budget, and how did you know where it was located?

I'm impressed that you were able to hike up Diamond Head with pneumonia. What a shame that they don't give certificates any more. Hope you're feeling better.

Give your husband my gratitude for serving our country. Blessings to him and your family.

Welcome home.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Hello 1Traveling Family,

Thank You. I called Budget's 800# and she gave me the price and I just asked if that was the best price and then she gave me an ecoupon for $35.00. When I got my receipt after we dropped the car off there was also an $11.00 discount that I didn't know about. Even w/o that the price would have been really good. But, I did call every few days for about 2 weeks to get the lowest rate. It's amazing how they fluctuate so much. We just asked one of the workers where the rental place was and it took us maybe 10 minutes to get there. Just the thought of putting ALL of our luggage on the shuttle and then taking it all off 5 minutes later made us think the walk was better.

Christi

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

I grew up military for a number of years...so I understand how important this trip was to your family. So glad Hawaii welcomed you and may your husband always travel safe.

Bless him and you for your service to this country.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Your report really made me smile. We too stayed at the Hale Koa just a few weeks ago. We liked it so much we booked while we were there for next years spring break, lol!

Weren't those roosters and hens at Haunama Bay hilarious?! We saw them going from backpack to backpack on the beach trying to get food.

What is a matsumoto?

We didn't see any turtles and were disappointed. So I already took note of where you did so we can hopefully see them next year. Thanks!

I can understand your thoughts on PH. My DH just retired a couple years ago, and I am like you and get weepy at all of that. We did go there though, and I was ok until I saw an elderly gentleman sobbing. I am sure there was a story behind it, and I can only imagine...

BTW, I wanted a Diamond Head T-shirt too:)

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Hi ChristiRose, thanks for a great report. You and your family did manage to pack a lot into your trip.

I can understand what you mean about Pearl Harbour. As a Non American citizen (I am from Northern Ireland), but married to a girl from New Jersey, I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye when I visited it a number of years ago.

Please thank your husband and all his colleagues for the work which they do, and I hope and pray that they will be kept safe.

Regards

John.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Hi ChristiRose,

Thanks for your responses. Will call Budget directly.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Mtngirl,

A Matsumoto is shaved ice with or w/o ice cream at the bottom. They are so much better than a snow cone. The flavors are intense and the ice is finely shaved. You can also get them with sweet azuki (spelling?) beans at the bottom. You get them in Hale'wia on North Shore and the name of the store is Matsumoto. There are plenty of shaved ice stores, but my husband has talked about Matsumotos since I met him 10 years ago.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 4/13 - 4/18

Okay...now I'm really confused. I've never been to Hawaii, but in my reading, I keep seeing SHAVE ice which made no sense to me because I thought it was SHAVED ice. I did read that Matsumoto's was the place to get whatever is the correct spelling!

Another question...just what is a malasada? For only 12 letters, I'm having a hard time with the Hawaiian language!

Okay you experts out there. Please correct and advise before I get there in two weeks and ask for the wrong thing!

Thanks.