We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vog

Vancouver
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vog

We were in Oahu a few weeks ago and i was surprised to see fog which i now know as vog. I have never seen that before. We had planned a snorkelling trip on that day and was glad that we ended up not going as the weather was just cloudy and "cold" as well.

I'm just wondering, if there is a particular time of the year vog occurs more than another? Planning my next trip back probably in october and just wondering.

Thanks!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vog

Vog is produced by the volcano on the Big Island. It's a natural phenomenon that can't be predicted from hour to hour, much less day to day or month to month. Madam Pele does what she wills.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vog

.... and it does not help when there is no tradewinds and the "Konawinds" prevails. South, southeast winds will bring the "vog" up the island chain and everyone suffers.

There is no particular time of the year when the vog is less than other time of the year. Taking into consideration, the changing of the earths atmosphere, whether and wind conditions and of course "Madam Pele" rules.

Never-the-less, we "Live Aloha" .....

3. Re: Vog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 12:17