We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant questions

USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
restaurant questions

I put together a list based on several guide books. I will take away some and add more until I narrow it down.

1.Ola

2.Roy's

3.Zippy's

4.I Love Country cafe

5.Kaka'ko Kitchen

6.Loco Moco Drive In

7.Boots and Kimo's home style

8.Pinky's PuPu Bar and Grill

9.Sushi Kai

10.Matsumoto's

11.Aoki's

12.Orchid's

13.Bacnam

14.Tokturi-Tei

15.Ono Hawaiian foods

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant questions

Here are the ones I've eaten at from you list.

Roy's (the one in Hawaii Kai) very good food. The chocolate shouffle is to die for.

Zippy's is where I go for fast foods (from the take out counter). The inside sit down restaurant part has reasonable local foods too, but for some reason I always go for the take out side nowadays. Likely because the items I always order are available at the take out side -- Zip pac, chili chicken pac, surf pac, plate lunches, etc.

Kakaako Kitchen very good food, again more a lunch take out type place for me.

DH and I usually go to either Matsumoto's or Aoki's depending on which line is shorter when I was there. I found both of their shaved ice equally enjoyable. DH and I usually get the fully loaded one (with red beans and ice cream).

Just to give you more ideas, here are a few not on your list:

Good steak -- Hy's Steak House

Fun happy hour, good breakfast buffet -- Duke's Canoe Club

Dim Sum -- Legend (although I do get good dim sums here in NY, I still like to have dim sum while in HI)

Japanese noodle soup -- Yotteko-ya

Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) -- To Chao

Fast local breakfast -- McDonalds for portugese sausage, scramble eggs and rice (yes, that's right, rice for breakfast, and use catsup on the rice, not soy sauce!)

Sansei -- love their sampler menu and the shrimp cake is wonderful.

USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant questions

Thanks

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant questions

Some more to consider are:

Alan Wong's: very good and expensive.

Alan Wong's Pineapple Room: very good as well, but not as expensive and more casual than the other one.

L & L BBQ and Rainbow Drive-In: great for local food and plate lunches.

Yummy's Korean BBQ and Tasty's Korean BBQ

USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant questions

We are not really ging to this many restaurants but want to get the best of the best not necessarily expensive but the best.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant questions

Travel -- I don't know when you are going or where you are staying. It would help us with comments.

Roy's - I believe that there is more than one location. We ate at the new one on the Waikiki Beach Walk. Neither DH nor I are fond of Asian food...no sushi, etc. DH had a local fish and I had the tiger shrimp. RAVE reviews! Leave room for the chocolate souffle.

Orchid's - Never been there but HIGHLY regarded on this forum ... along with La Mer and House Without a Key -- all at the Halekulani.

I would add Surf Room at the Royal Hawaiian, but it may be closed when you are there (June 1 through Dec 31).

There are tons of posts about Waikiki/Honolulu restaurants, so have fun!

USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant questions

I know this probably sounds ignorant but isn't all steak pretty much the same? I cant imagine going to a steak house in Hawaii.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant questions

Roys has been on Oahu for quite a few years now....the one in Hawaii Kai. They opened one up in Waikiki last year (I think) so it might be worth checking out since it's new.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurant questions

Steak may be steak - but Hy's Steak House is the best I've had anywhere I've traveled. On my trips I always go local most of the time, but always reserve one night for Hy's.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurant questions

I forgot to add.....but Kua 'Aina at the Ward Center has some of the best burgers!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurant questions

Keep in mind that one of the largest -- if not the largest -- cattle ranch in the country is the Parker Ranch on the Big Island. Maui, also, is a cattle raising island -- the Up-Country (slopes) of Haleakala to be exact. When you visit, you'll hear about the Paniolos (Hawaiian Cowboys) and their influence on Hawaiian culture and music.

(The Ritz Carleton in Kapalua Maui makes wonderful steaks!)