We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sashimi grade fish to take out

California
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sashimi grade fish to take out

Aloha,

Could any one, please share the info about places, where we can buy sashimi grade local fish to take out?

Staying in Kailua over the Thanksgiving holiday and I am looking for take-out sashimi grade fish reputable small stores. Any “hidden gem” places?

Mahalo!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,521 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sashimi grade fish to take out

Hmmmm, hidden gem called Safeway that usually has sashimi grade Ahi.

California
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sashimi grade fish to take out

I am ware of that. I guess, every island has it. I am looking for small places where locals buy sashimi ;) Small local stores.....

Good sushi take-out place is appreciated too.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sashimi grade fish to take out

ella .... don't understand the question, but, here is my input.

Fresh sashimi comes in different grades with grade A being the highest and at the moment I saw up to $20.00 a pound.

During the winter months and more towards the holidays, top grade sashimi will run $30 and up per pound.

To find these type of sashimi, you need to go to the local fish market such as Tamashiro Market, Chinatown fishmarket, Ward Farmer's Market and in Kaneohe, JJ Seafoods. These are some of the markets that I have been too.

The next bet, unless, you are a connoisseur and really like your different type of raw fish, uni, roe's & etc., for pupu eating is Safeway, Times and Foodland Markets. Foodland has a good fish department. The new Safeway on Kapahulu also.

Be careful when buying from small mom and pop stores. You will never know how fresh the item is.

When I am hungry for a taste of sashimi, poke or sushi, I go to Genki Sushi. There is one Genki Sushi located at the old Kaneohe Shopping Center. A lot of variety and choices. Go try them out. You won't regret going.

Hope this helps .....

California
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sashimi grade fish to take out

Thank you very much for the answers !

Initially, Safeway sounded not exciting at all.

I rarely go to Safeway to do my grocery shopping where I live as the store

"lacks the character": plain and very poor selection of everything, including its fish department. I go to small fish markets to buy sashimi.

I have realized that it was not the case on Oahu :)

We bought in Safeway fresh and testfull sashimi grade ahi at $19.99 per lb.

We checked out JJ Seafood a couple of days ago and founded only 1 tray with

sashimi grade ahi at $26.99 lb. Took it but I hoped for a wider selection at the specialty store ..... It is not the season for other LOCAL fish to be sold as sashimi? (I saw salmon but imported from Canada.)

Tried take out sushi at Genki, Kozo and Ninja. All were good.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sashimi grade fish to take out

what you need to understand is the fishing industry in Hawaii is very small.. Very small.. the local fish will be Ono, Marlin, Ahi....and a small smattering of others.

The majority of all fish will be flown in from Aisia, California, etc. There is very limited variety... and much goes to the restauraunts...not the markets.

The dish you bought for $27 a pound no doubt came from the same source as Safeway.... but was not as fresh. Specialty fish markets are rare here...mostly part of a Supermarket...even Costco.

You are deluding yourself thet we have all these hidden gems for fish...

6. Re: Sashimi grade fish to take out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 02:19