We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which North Shore Beach to rent?

Port Chester, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Which North Shore Beach to rent?

We're going to rent a house on the North Shore for a week in January. I realize that the distances aren't great, but the choices are Chuns Reef, Pupukea or Ehukai. Are there any pros or cons to any of these locations, or should I just go with the nicest house at the best price? I need to decide within the next day or two. Mahalo.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,640 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which North Shore Beach to rent?

Pupukea may have a slight edge (if it is close to the ocean) because there are a few stores you can walk to like Foodland. Also if there is huge surf, it is a nice place to see the surf crashing over the lava rocks. But Pupukea area also includes houses that go up the hill & can be quite a distance from the beach.

But, I'd just go with the nicest house for the price unless one is on or much closer to the beach than the others.

Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which North Shore Beach to rent?

I would make sure you rent a legal vacation rental. Those areas you mentioned are residential-zoned neighborhoods and all vacation rentals and B&B’s in residential areas must have a County permit. If they don’t have one, they can be shut-downed at any time by the authorities. Check out the following County website for an official list of legal rentals. If the rental you are considering staying at is not on the list, don’t rent it or at least contact the City officials to make sure it’s legitimate.

http://www.honoluludpp.org/HotIssues/

Vancouver
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which North Shore Beach to rent?

I totally agree with checking the unit out so it's legit. I had a place booked on Rocky Point - paid the deposit - then got a message saying they couldn't rent anymore because they didn't have a permit. Learned my lesson fast. Ask the renter for the TVU number to make sure.

Port Chester, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which North Shore Beach to rent?

Thanks for your advice/input. With all the snow on the ground here, I can't wait to get there.

5. Re: Which North Shore Beach to rent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 21:17