We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Harbor with a baby

San Diego
4 posts
Save Topic
Pearl Harbor with a baby

My Mom and I are planning on visiting with my 11 month old son. I I understand that you can not take in bags. What do you do about diaper changes? Any past visitors have any advice? I would appreciate it!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

this is not a place for a baby....The atmosphere is quiet somber respectfull and reflective.... And no bags for any reason.... they have a storage locker but still a baby of that age is not a good idea.

It may be me, but this is not the place for a crying infant to distract from the experience than many have traveled many thousands of miles to pay their respects at...

Consider splitting time with your husband... or puutting off the trip out of respect and consideration for others.... that would be the respectful adult decision....

This is not a theme park.... Please consider this

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

Windbreaker with big pockets. However, it will depend on how good a traveler your baby is. If the baby get fussy after a time not being able to get down and move or board if waiting at least an 1 to an 1 1/2 and then a video period in a quiet room before the boat ride, then I would wait to take him. Not the place for children to run around (at 11 months, may not be walking) as it is very crowded and the video will require the baby to be quiet and also at the memorial. Of course, your baby may be a complete pleasure and not typical at all. Up to you but you don't want to be the parent with the noisy baby at this attraction. You could consider taking to different tours to the memorial and keep the baby in the museum area but still very crowded.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,777 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

No problem with kids of any age.

I see them from babies to 18.

Both restrooms have changing tables.

You can't take a diaper bag, but you can hand carry a couple diapers in a small plastic bag or ziploc bag. also a couple of wipes in a small ziploc bag.

The only time when you would be away from being able to go to the restroom is when you are actually on the tour. It takes about 1 hour.

Strollers are allowed in the Visitors Center, but not in the theater or the ferry to the memorial.

nps.gov/usar/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

On a side note, they have started construction on the new Visitors Center. You have to get tickets for USS Arizona tour from near Bowfin/Missouri ticket office across the parking lot.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

I have seen plenty of people with babies and toddlers there some were crying some were not. Only you know for sure if your child will can tolerate the movie period which I think is a requirement to get on boat to the memorial.

It is a very quiet and somber atmosphere at the memorial imo and as well it should be.

My husband always wears cargo shorts with big pockets to hold camera and such but no diapers our only child is 20 now.

Aloha Marie

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

belbis, I believe babies and infants are not allowed on the USS Arizona Memorial. Children also have a height requirement to board the shuttle.

Families are okay at the USS Arizona Museum.

San Diego
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

Thank you for the feedback. I called the memorial and they stated that infants are allowed and that you can carry in a diaper and wipes like Dusty stated.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

belbis, thank you, I stand corrected. I guess I was mistaking when my daughter mentioned not being able to take the stroller on the shuttle & etc.

I learned something new, today ......

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,777 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

"I guess I was mistaking when my daughter mentioned not being able to take the stroller on the shuttle & etc."

You are correct on that part.

Strollers are allowed in the Visitors Center, but not in the theater or on the shuttle. But you can take the babies without the strollers in the theater & on the shuttle.

There is a storage area for strollers in the visitors Center.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,777 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

"I guess I was mistaking when my daughter mentioned not being able to take the stroller on the shuttle & etc."

"You are correct on that part."

What I meant to say is your daughter was correct about the stroller not allowed on the shuttle.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pearl Harbor with a baby

Yes babies are welcome reflective or not. We were there many times with our kids when they were litle no problem.