We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish - what beaches?

Wilmington, Delaware
10 posts
Save Topic
Jellyfish - what beaches?

I am traveling to Oahu from 8/1 to 8/17. I got the calender from Hawaiian Lifeguard Assoc. showing a full moon on 8/5 and risk of jellyfish from 8/14 to 8/16. Is the risk of jellyfish for beaches all over Oahu or just on the Windward side? I am trying to finalize accomodations on the island and would greatly appreciate insight as to what beaches to avoid during these dates. Thank you in advance.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

Actually your windward beaches should be OK. Waikiki and Haunama beaches tend to be the biggest concern. There will be signage and warnings if there is a box jellyfish problem.

On the windward side you have Portugeese Man-O-War, which are not as serious as the box jellyfish. They are little blue oblong balls with long tentacles that sting. If you look, you might find them when walking the beach. My little guy ran into one in the water once, it hurt, but similar to a bee sting. Much less serious than the box jellyfish.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

KailuaMom,

My kids will be on Oahu 7-15 to 7-19 which are jellyfish days (15, 16, 17). Do they post the signs based on the calendar or based on observing box jellyfish. I am just wondering if they should expect to see the warnings.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

We were there during the jellyfish days in June. Saw warning signs on the beach, but they seemed to be ignored. Plenty of people were in the water along Waikiki and I didn't hear any screams.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

They put signs up, there is usually one bad day and a hangover day. Ask the lifeguard if you have any questions, they will let you know how bad it is.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

The Windward beaches should be okay but I've heard of box jellyfish as far up the coast as Bellows Beach and certainly at Hanauma Bay.

The jellyfish you'd be more likely to encounter on Windward beaches is the Portuguese Man'O'War, especially on very windy days.

But jellyfish are not the only nasty things in our lovely waters. Here's a nice website describing some of the others:

http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/critters.html#jellyfish

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

Thanks for the info. I'll let the kids know.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

Kailua Mom, thanks for that link. I can handle the though of all those critters except sea snakes!!! Are they really sighted near Hawaii, especially during either March or June? Yikes, just the thought of them makes me want to stay on the beach, lol!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

Last time we were there, a girl about 12yo got stung on the arm. Poor girl was screaming so loudly. They closed the beach immediately to swimmers. A couple of people attending her said that their sting was similar to our Aussie 'Blue Bottle". I've had a few of those wrapped around the neck and shoulders over the years when bodysurfing. Hurts like hell and really makes for a miserable day.

My 8yo son was running along the beach years ago and got one over his foot. It came up like a balloon and he screamed like crazy. We tried water, then vinegar to pour over it, but it didn't help. A woman came along after a couple of minutes with a jar of "Medicated Aloe Vera Gel" and applied that. We were all absolutely amazed that the pain and swelling all but disappeared in about 5 minutes! After 20 minutes, he had no discomfort at all. I wouldn't have believed it If I didn't see it for myself. We've carried a jar in the glovebox now for 20 years.

Guernsey, CI
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

There were jellyfish signs out all along Waikiki beach when we visited in September (back in 2003). I stupidly thought that as everyone else was swimming that it must be fine. So I went for a swim, came out and complained that my neck was sore. I had this huge scratch type mark running across my neck (Im guessing it must have been from a jelly fish)! Ouch...that will teach me!!! So, my tip, if you see a sign that warns you of jellyfish, even if there are people in the water...don't go in!!! hahaha

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish - what beaches?

Harleynut - Thanks so much for the info!!

We're going in October, the week when the box JF are to be out, I will be looking for some of that jel before I leave.