We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay on Oahu - Hotel or Condo

Collierville
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay on Oahu - Hotel or Condo

HELP! We are traveling (5 adults) next May and I've read till my eyes are crossed! We can't decide whether to:

1. Go the hotel route in Honolulu and if so, which hotel? HHV, Sheraton, Marriott, Outrigger; or

2. Go to the North Shore and get a condo at Turtle Bay. (Read some reviews about Nathan Olsen and Olsen Villas)

We want to attend a luau while we are there, but not one on the rooftop, like at HHV. We will only be there three nights before catching a NCL cruise and we are looking for GREAT beach and relaxation before leaving on Saturday.

Which is it? Hotel or Condo on North Shore?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,946 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay on Oahu - Hotel or Condo

I would NOT go to the trouble of a condo if you only have 3 nights on Oahu. There are so many great hotels on Waikiki to enjoy and a wide variety of things to do and places to go ... and restaurants and shops. Prices are very competitive (read: unusually low!).

Hotels -- that will depend on your budget and how many rooms you need, I guess. Hyatt has a great location, and is a fine hotel. Moana Surfrider is on the beach and is classic, as is the Royal Hawaiian. The Outrigger Reef is getting good reviews, as is the Sheraton Waikiki - with renovations. Some great AAA rates for each. You can't go wrong with any of these.

Three nights and only 2 full days? You may want to rent a car and drive around the island. In your situation, I would highly recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center. They have shuttle service from/to your hotel (it's about an hour's drive) and will truly set the stage for the rest of your trip. It's an all-day activity, and the Horizon's show in the evening can't be beat. And there is a luau component. Also, check to see if a luau is offered as one of the excursions on your ship. The Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki has a very nice luau ... and would be a special evening for you and your group.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,536 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay on Oahu - Hotel or Condo

Most private condos require at least 5 nights. But, with tourism down right now you may be able to make a deal.

You can also get a condo (condotel) in Waikiki. These are condos, but operated like hotels.

Aston has several, Aqua has some Outrigger has a couple. Not much difference in price between these & hotel rooms.

Polynesian Cultural Center has the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii. Best if you can spend the entire day there. Don't know if you want to do that with only 3 days on Oahu.

Lots of Oahu info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay on Oahu - Hotel or Condo

Dusty & BLBL said it all.... follow their advice.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay on Oahu - Hotel or Condo

If you were looking at Turtle Bay condos because of the location (non-Waikiki), just book the hotel. Many people on the boards love to stay there. It is closer to the PCC where you would go to the luau.

I prefer North Shore (Hawaiian country setting) to Waikiki (city) anyday - however, that's a personal preference thing.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay on Oahu - Hotel or Condo

Your trip is next May so you have plenty of time to think about this.

I'd also suggest a hotel but that is just me. I am not fond of making my own bed while on vacation or cooking. Also the cleaning fees always bring the price way up.

I stay at the Turtle Bay Resort. If you want relaxation then TBR is great. They have a luau and beautiful beaches all within minutes. You have time to keep your eye on the rates and know when to book. They always have great rates for May, especially early May.

6. Re: Where to Stay on Oahu - Hotel or Condo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 06:16