We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Quick background.. My girlfriend and I (upper 20's) going to Oahu for first time.. 5 days Aug 18-23. Direct flight from Atlanta. Staying at Hyatt Regency at Waikiki..renting a jeep thurs-Sun. We're adventurous and love pretty beaches/views/good nightlife/live music but don't want to spend too much. I have been dreaming of jeeping to a secluded beautiful beach. Any ideas? Am I leaving anything awesome out? What's the can't miss nightlife spots?

Also, where is a good spot to surf/bodyboard in August? We're beginners, but have surfed before(she can actually get up) and are looking for 5ft-ish waves. Last question...Is there any cheap parking near the Hyatt? Thanks in advance!

I have been researching and bought the book "Oahu Revealed". Here's what I've put together:

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Here's my Itinerary:

Hike to Mauna falls, Diamond Head, Makapu lighthouse

Sunset catamaran sail (looks like a bargain)

Skydiving (I'm surprising her w this one :) first timers

Pearl Harbor

Hanamua Bay-Snorkel

Turtle Bay on North Shore

Bonzai Pipeline (can we bodyboard/surf here or is it too big?

Waimanalo beach

Lanikai beach (looks gorgeous)

Waimea Bay

Surf at waikiki

Polynesian cultural center and luau (may not have time)

Dinner at pinky's pupu bar and grill and hula's grill, and Duke's

Byodo-in-temple it's a temple in a valley that is supposed to be really sweet

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Here's my Itinerary:

Hike to Mauna falls, Diamond Head, Makapu lighthouse

Sunset catamaran sail (looks like a bargain)

Skydiving (I'm surprising her w this one :) first timers

Pearl Harbor

Hanamua Bay-Snorkel

Turtle Bay on North Shore

Bonzai Pipeline (can we bodyboard/surf here or is it too big?

Waimanalo beach

Lanikai beach (looks gorgeous)

Waimea Bay

Surf at waikiki

Polynesian cultural center and luau (may not have time)

Dinner at pinky's pupu bar and grill and hula's grill, and Duke's

Byodo-in-temple it's a temple in a valley that is supposed to be really sweet

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,804 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

$12/day at Aston Waikiki Banyan about 3 blocks from Hyatt.

South beaches will be better for surfing this time of the year. Waikiki is OK. Kuilei Cliffs Beach Park is good. It is right below Diamond Head. Park at the lookouts by Diamond Head Lighthouse & take the trail down to the beach.

North Shore beaches will be real small, 1-3 ft in the summer, but once in awhile there may be 3-5 ft.

Sandy Beach is probably best for body surfing, but it is dangerous so be careful. Makapuu Beach for bodyboarding. Also Waikiki.

You ought to tour the island one of your first full days & make a note where decent surf spots are.

A jeep on Oahu is really not needed. There is only one "secluded" beach that you can get to with a jeep that you can't get to with a regular car. It is at Kaena Point (Secret Beach maybe?) going from the North Shore side, past Dillingham Field. It is about 1/2 mile from the parking area. 4-wheel drives are allowed past the parking area for about a mile.

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Thanks alot Dusty...Is Sandy Beach dangerous bc of the coral and rocks? That scares me....if it's just bc of the rough water...I'm not too worried. We are good swimmers and have been in rough water.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Is the 4wd place fun? How tough is the 4wd? Would it damage a rental jeep? Is the view worth the drive? Thanks!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Sandy Beach is dangerous because of the shore break. There are more broken necks there than anything else. It's not a swimming skill thing, really more how good of a bodyboarder are you?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

I see...so I guess the steepness of the ocean floor makes it really shallow where the waves are breaking and people are dropping into the wave and crashing into the ocean floor and then the wave breaks on them?

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Best place to surf is across the street. If you want to save money do the bar table menu at dukes, but you will have to fight for a table. Maybe skip PCC if you are 20.

Do the sunset cruise early so you can repeat, the Na Hoku is the best for 20s, make a reservation during the day or day before, they sell out.

Night spots, Dukes, Jimmy Buffets, Yardhouse, Senor Frogs, Level 4.

I would add an Outrigger Canoe ride, they are really fun and cheap.

waikikibeachservices.com nahokuii.com

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Thanks for the help...we will skip the PCC and go to jimmy buffet's...not so sure about senor frogs. Isn't that a younger crowd as in teenagers?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this an Epic Oahu Itinerary?? Upper 20's travelers!

Skip PCC? Absolutely not! You are planning a enduro-challenge of Oahu - complete with Jeep (which you do need!). Take a day an realize where you are. Hawaii! The Polynesian Cultural Center is beautiful and interactive. Best entertainment on the island.

You are way overbooked!