We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on when to visit please???"

South Carolina
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Advice on when to visit please???"

Can someone please recommend the very best week/month to go to north shore oahu to visit? (staying at turtle bay for a wk..)

I need to schedule soon and need an idea...I would like calmer weather/as little chance of rain as possible. It can be any time from this January through mid-June.

Thank you so much!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,059 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on when to visit please???"

For the least chance of rain -- closer to the summer. But one of the main attractions on the North Shore are the giant waves. That's why many folks (like me) go there.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on when to visit please???"

Hello and thank you. yes I'd like to see the big waves...so when are they the best/most consistent? Is the best surf in Feb or March by any chance?

Thank you so much

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,875 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on when to visit please???"

In Hawaii, the surf is UP on the northshores in the winter time, and it is calm in the summer, which some of us enjoy for snorkeling. Winter is when you will see the big waves and all the hot surfers. You also get a chance to see whales if you come during the winter months. :)

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on when to visit please???"

The big waves are caused by winter weather patterns which include rain. So, pick your poison, big waves with cooler possibly rainy weather. Or, warm, sunny and flat ocean.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on when to visit please???"

Bear in mind that big waves means no swimming. O`ahu isn't that big. You could stay on the sunnier south shore where you can swim, and do a day trip up to the north shore to see the waves. You should visit the north shore no matter where you stay.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on when to visit please???"

North Shore hosts surfing championships in December. These are the 'tall as a house' waves. It's also rainy then across the northern parts of Oahu, Kauai, and to some extend Maui and Big Island.

Whales starte appearing in late November/early December. The count is done around the peak of their season, mid-February. They are mostly gone by late April.

I've stayed at Turtle Bay twice in December -- too cold to use the pool.

I'd try end of March. There will be some waves, less rain, and the whales will still be there.

While you wait to visit, are you screening "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" -- shot at TB. (Just press the 'mute' button and enjoy the scenery.)

7. Re: Advice on when to visit please???"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 06:18