We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in the evenings?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in the evenings?

I have read through a number of topics relating to this subject and it seems that casual attire in the evenings appears to be the norm. We will be on our honeymoon and I don't really get many chances to dress up back at home so would I really be out of place wearing summery dresses? We plan to eat at a some upscale restaurants for maybe 2 nights out of 6 day stay (Orchids etc) and being quite short I do like to wear heels/wedges (not stilettos). What do men tend to wear when dining out at midscale restaurants? Day attire will be shorts and tanks/vest tops.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

"Summery dresses" will be fine here. You can even get a bit flashier at some of our chic nightspots. Heels/wedges are perfectly acceptable.

For men? Midscale restaurants?

Hmmm...midscale, nice shorts and an aloha shirt or a polo shirt. Upperscale...long pants, tucked in aloha shirt.

Don't fret so much about the dress code. Chances are you won't be turned away, no matter what you wear. We tend to be very accepting here.

HAVE FUN!!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

Others may pop in, but I believe that Orchids and/or La Mer DO have dress codes.

But as a general rule, there are no dress codes. Summer dresses are fine - if they are cotton or rayon. Polyester - leave it home.

You can wear heels -- but can you walk in them? Keep that in mind.

For general evening restaurant wear - men: Aloha shirts or polo shirts and nice shorts and nice sandals. Women: Aloha shirts or nice T-shirt; nice shorts or capris, nice sandals, sundress.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,951 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

When we go out to a nice restaurant in the evening I always wear my sun dresses. Long or short. I even have a "dressier" pair of flip-flops. My DH wears an aloha shirt and either a pair of slacks or dress shorts. Very seldom will he wear shoes, though. Slippah's are what he wears!! Looks weird, but always accepting in any restaurant!!

Plano, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

What about after wedding dinner? Are we going to look funny wearing our wedding attire i.e. bridesmaid dresses and in case of the bride - her wedding dress? Is this going to be OK?

Thanks!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,981 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

In your wedding dress? Jojo, I think you'll just get a lot of smiles coming your way. Wear it. I would.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

Moni - not a problem. Folks will just know that you are a wedding party and think it's really cool. Speaking of cool ... you may want to consider changing before dinner, depending on what the wedding attire looks like.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,801 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

Men wear khaki or grey slacks with a collared shirt (Reyn's Spooner or Polo) and ladies wear summer dresses. In a really fancy place (La Mer) men add a jacket.

And if it is your honeymoon, do La Mer over or in addition to Orchids.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

Thanks for all of the advice. Would trainers be suitable in restaurants (excluding La Mer/Orchids and others of this nature) for my fiance? He really isnt into wearing sandals. I won't be wearing my wedding dress as its just the two of us and we are having our wedding meal in the evening (wedding is at 1pm). I was planning to wear a one shoulder black dress (just above the knee) to Orchids - its quite dressy but in a classic and sophisticated style not trashy nightclub attire!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

Re La Mer over Orchids for our wedding meal, having looked at the menu, Orchids suits our tastes better (neither of us eats seafood) but we will definitley try La Mer - finances permitting as it is quite expensive and we plan to make the most of our time in Oahu and visit as many places as possible. Thanks for the advice.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in the evenings?

Trainers (called tennis shoes in US), are ok for most places, they just look a little dorky! My DH used to always wear them until I presented him with a nice pair of leather slides without a bunch of buckles or straps. They look much better. They also feel much better in Hawaii than wearing socks and closed shoes.