We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities - Too much in one day?

DeRidder, Louisiana
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Activities - Too much in one day?

Would it be too much to drive the east coast and stop at Diamond Head, Halona Blowhole, Makapu'u Lookout & Beach & Hike, Lanikai & Kailua Beach, Byodo-In, Kualoa Nursery & Gardens/Kualoa Park & Chinaman's Hat, Kahana Bay, La'ie Point, Sunset Beach, Banzai Pipeline, Shark's Cove, Waimea Bay & Audubon Center & Falls Park, Tuttle Beach and Hale'iwa?

If so, how would you recommend spreading it over two days?

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities - Too much in one day?

Whoa...your Hawaii vacation should not be a 100-yard dash that leaves you breathless.

Diamond Head is not a stop. It's a short hike of moderate difficulty that will take a couple of hours, preferably early before the temperatures rise.

Halona Blowhole and Makapu'u Beach are a short look. The hike is approximately a mile one way so there's a couple of hours. You want to do this at sunrise.

Lanikai & Kailua Beach, you need to stop and savor these. They are marvelous....way better than Waikiki in the estimation of many.

Byodo-In and Kualoa Nursery & Gardens, I can't speak to. Haven't seen them.

ualoa Park & Chinaman's Hat are a quick look. Kahana Bay...Kaneohe Bay?

La'ie Point is a quick look.

Sunset Beach, Banzai Pipeline, Shark's Cove, Waimea Bay, & Audubon Center & Falls Park are good places to spend time as is Turtle Beach. Haleiwa has places to eat and is a popular place to view the sunset.

Sure, you could jump in the car, make the full loop and return to Waikiki saying you've seen them all. But you couldn't stop anywhere and really enjoy any of them.

I think you could easily spend 2-3 days doing all these things. I would group them to minimize the drive time.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities - Too much in one day?

I have to agree with Rockytop yes you can do it but how much time will you get to enjoy each stop sounds like stop the car take a quick look and back on the road. You will be in one of the most beautiful places on earth take time to take a deep breath and smell the plumeria.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities - Too much in one day?

I feel like a chump for answering because I can't believe you're not kidding. But something tells me that you may not be kidding. So ...

Yes. That would be too much. WAAAAY too much.

How would I spread it over two days? Dedicate one day to just driving around the island, hitting and ENJOYING some of your stops (excluding Diamond Head.) Dedicate the next day to trying to squeeze in some of your other priorities. Or better yet, say screw it to those other priorites and spend the entire day just sitting on the sand at Kailua or Lanikai.

Make Diamond Head your lowest priority. Of all your activities, it will give you the least wow for your time investment.

DeRidder, Louisiana
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities - Too much in one day?

First, thanks Rockytop for your information. Second, Beacheeme, No I was not kidding. Having never been to Hawaii and having read so much information, it is hard to judge whether I was trying to see too much in one day.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities - Too much in one day?

I agree that you should do Diamond Head hike on a different day while you can do other things in Honolulu.

You can stop at the lookouts near the lighthouse on Diamond Head Road on your tour.

It would take a full day to do the drive you want starting at 8am & getting back at 5-6pm without any beach or hiking time. That would give you 5 minutes or so at the beaches you mention.

So do it in 2 or more days.

If you want to spend a couple hours at Kailua/Lanikai beaches add a couple hours.

Halona Blowhole 10 minutes including walking out to the road for pictures of Halona Cove (From Here to Eternity Beach). Another 20-30 minutes if you want to go down to the cove. Another 10 minutes if you want to go the the Japanese shrine on the opposite side of Halona Cove.

Add 1 1/2 hours for Makapuu Lighthouse hike.

Makapuu Lookout just a couple minutes for pictures.

Makapuu Beach just a few minutes for pictures. An hour if you want to boogie board or body surf.

Add another 1 1/2 - 2 hours for Waimea Valley (formerly Waimea Vally Audubon Center)

Haleiwa add another 2-3 hours

Kahana Bay is scenic add another hour for beach time there if you want. Otherwise just a few minutes to stop at the beach to take pictures.

Ehukai Beach (Banzai Pipeline) 5-10 minutes if you just want pictures. An hour if you want beach time.

Byodo-In Temple 30 minutes

Kualoa Nursery & Gardens. Have never been there, so am guessing 30 minutes, possibly an hour if they have a garden tour.

Waimea Bay 15 minutes if you want pictures & watch people jump off the rock. An hour if you want beach time. Parking spots are limited there.

Shark's Cove 5 minutes if you just want pictures. An hour or so if you want to walk out onto the lava & explore the area a little. Another hour if you want to snorkel there.

Chinaman's Hat 10 minutes for pictures.

Laie Point 5 minutes for pictures. 10 minutes if you want to walk out on the lava.

Note: You don't need beach time at all of the beaches. Just pick a couple of them for beach time & just take pictures at the others.

There are a couple of driving tours on this thread that kind of splits in into 2 days:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
670 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities - Too much in one day?

I have done the entire island drive in one day more than once, but it was more than 20 years ago and I basically just stopped for pictures in all the places that I stopped...no hiking. This year I am going back and taking my children. We will do the island drive, but I will go back later to try the Diamond Head hike and Manoa Falls hike on a separate day. One stop for 1/2 hour to watch surfers, but the rest just 10 minute stops. I have never been to the Lanikai Beach or Audubon Center though. This year I am going to go to the church with the Hawaiian service as well. I want to stop at Dole and

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities - Too much in one day?

Good. Glad you were serious. So was I.

I think it would be a mistake approach a Hawaii trip with the kind of laundry list of must-sees you'd use in, say, Paris or Florence.

Hawaii is magical -- a place for savoring. It's not a place for quickly snapping pictures and racking up "Been there, done that" credentials.

So don't feel bad if you can't squeeze in all your hoped-for stops. I just means that you were enjoying the other stops to the fullest.

8. Re: Activities - Too much in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 06:24