We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

I am going to be in Hawaii over Thanksgiving and the following weekend. Will the stores and hotels be decorated for Christmas at that time? Is there any special Christmas things that I should see? Thank you.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,909 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

I imagine that the stores in the malls - like the Ala Moana Shopping Center - will be decked out for Christmas/Black Friday. I think that the hotels will be decorated for Thanksgiving, if at all.

I'm all for Christmas music and decor -- but frankly, I like Hawaiian music and flowers when I am in Hawaii. I missed that last December. The snow scenes are a "tad" out of place. Attended a wonderful Christmas service, though.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

I like to see Hawaiian things as well, but it would be nice to see how Hawaii celebrates the holidays while I am there. I understand that there is a parade in Waikiki on Black Friday and Santa arrives on an outrigger canoe. To me, that is cool..and something that I can't see at home!! I would like to check out the stores and see their decorations. Thank you.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

BLBL,

Where was the Christmas service you attended?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,909 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k242554…

Hawaii Girl - Here is my trip report.

Helmetta, New Jersey
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

I was there in 2006 over Thanksgiving. I see you are from NJ too. It is nothing like it is here. There is a Christmas parade that Friday night in Waikiki which is about as good as you'll get. It was actually quite nice to watch all the festivities and not be cold! We stayed at the Halekulani and that weekend they were just starting to decorate for Christmas. It is much more low key in Hawaii.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

Thanks BLBL... awesome report!!!

We'll be there from the 17th thru Jan 4th and I will definitely see to it that we make it to a service at that church!!!

Mahalo!!!

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

I am planning to visit the Kawaiahoa Church for their 9am Hawaiian service while I am there. It sounds fantastic!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

Yep - It should be all decked out!

Here's a link for some other downtown information http://honolulucitylights.org/

I like the decorations at the Moana Surfrider.

The Ala Moana Mall is fun (I avoid Black Friday)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,909 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

HawaiiGirl -

I will be on Waikiki from Dec 19 through 25. I'm thinking of pulling together a TA get together - where TA posters actually MEET each other and chat for a while.

I don't know if Christmas time is the best or the worst time to do this - or if it won't work because people are traveling with their families. I've taken the first step of securing a place - which sounds perfect - the pool area at the Hyatt.

Anyway - I'll probably wait until October before I start a thread, but keep this in mind.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Decorations at Thanksgiving

In NJ and the surrounding area, Christmas is such a big deal..as you know. Everything is decorated to the max and there are all special Christmas events going on..starting in November. I wasn't sure if Hawaii was the same. It seems from what I read that celebrating doesn't start until around Dec. 5.