We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

Plymouth, MN
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

Hi,

We are going to be spending 7 days (Jan. 1 - 8th) on O'ahu. I'd like to get out of Waikiki for at least half of the trip (perhaps the 4th - 8th). Can anyone recommend whether to stay at the J.W. Marriott or Turtle Bay (or something else?)

We have two kids and traveling with both of my parents.

Thanks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,417 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

I would say the Marriott hands down. It is a newer property, closer to Honolulu if you need/want to get in.

The only other place I would recommend would be the Kahala Resort.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

I would go with Turtle Bay. This is a much more "old Hawaiian" style resort.

That said, Turtle Bay will be closer to the big waves / north shore. It will be cooler, however much more scenic.

Ko'Olina will be warmer and good for hanging around the resort, do n't se it as better for seing the island though. I like Ko'Olina, but I wouldn't have that in addition to Waikiki if my goal was to see more of the island. You only will see more of H1!

Plymouth, MN
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

Is J.W. sufficiently close to Waikiki that people would recommend just splitting between JW and Turtle Bay and NOT staying directly in Waikiki? We'd obviously then use JW as a base to go into Waikiki. Never been to O'ahu, so, not sure how much value there is to be in the middle of it all in Waikiki.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

I have stayed at both hotels. I would pick the JW over Turtle Bay. Turtle Bay on the north shore is windy. I found it was always windy in the afternoon. You would get sand blasted. I think the JW is a nicer hotel with lagoons you can swim in or layout on the beach. Waikiki is about 45 minutes to one hour depending on the traffic from the JW. Commuting to Waikiki is possible from the JW but impossible from the Turtle Bay.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

If you are looking for which is the nicer hotel, JW is probably nicer.

If you are looking to see more of Oahu, the JW is located in a small resort area, 45 minutes from anything. It has the same weather as Waikiki (maybe a little warmer).

During traffic hours, the trip from Ko'Olina can be really long!

Turtle Bay is in the "other" Oahu. This is the Oahu that people are looking for when they leave Waikiki. It is cooler.

Living on Oahu, the only reason I have been to Ko'Olina was to visit a friend staying at the Marriott Timeshare and hang by the pool. (It is very nice!) I went to the north shore often. We like the big waves, shrimp trucks & Haleiwa.

Plymouth, MN
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

Do the waves get into Kuilima Cove at Turtle Bay? Obviously, one concern will be how dangerous it will be for our little kids to wade in the shallow water.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

We have a DE scorchestra, who always stays at Turtle Bay - perhaps you can PM her, since she hasn't piped in yet.

However, if you plan just to hang at the resort with little ones, Ko'Olina is great for that.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,356 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

I would choose Turtle Bay because it is a good contrast to Honolulu/Waikiki.

Kuilima Cove is OK to swim all year except when there is huge surf on the North Shore.

You can also go to Polynesian Cultural Center while at Turtle Bay.

Kailua/Lanikai area is also nice. No hotels or resorts though. But a beach house would be good.

There are a lot less expensive choices than Turtle Bay Resort or JW Marriott on:

www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,417 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

And no the JW Marriott is NOT a good place to stay as an alternative for Waikiki activities. The traffic is horrendous.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: J.W. Marriott vs. Turtle Bay

senort01,

Reading your post it doesn't seem like you are looking for commuting back to Waikiki after you leave there. The JW in Ko Olina is definitely out of the city. From there you can take the Kunia road up to the H2 which takes you up to all points on the North Shore. This is a pretty nice ride (past the Dole Plantation). If you are looking to do Diamond Head or Kaneohe from the JW then I would recommend against it, but if you are looking to stay out of the congestion and visit the North Shore then the JW would work. I can't speak to Turtle Bay, I've only driven past it. Ko Olina would more likely afford you a swimmable beach during that time. Since there are so many of you, you might want to consider the Marriott Timeshare property in that location which would provide more room for everyone. They are both on the same lagoon. Both are very nice. The JW is closer to the Disney construction but I haven't heard anyone complain about that yet. Regardless of what you chose, you will love Oahu as there is something for everyone!