We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

I am looking at staying at Turtle Bay Resort in mid May 2010 with my 2 daughters aged 16 & 18 & then heading to Waikiki for 7 nights.

I am from Australia & do not want to hire a car until we get to Turtle Bay Resort as I am a bit of a nervous driver & don't want to drive in Honolulu/Waikiki as I have never driven on the "other" side of the road before. I was thinking of hiring a car for maybe 1 day at the Resort or nearby town.Can I do this or do you have to hire a car from the airport or Honolulu?

Could someone tell me how much a shuttle and a taxi are from the airport to the Turtle Bay Resort .

I read on an old post that the TB shuttle is about $100 & a taxi is about $60-70 each way. Is this right? I thought a taxi would be more expensive than the shuttle. Also the flight I was looking at arrives at 7.45am Saturday morning so would the traffic be bad to the North Shore therefore making the taxi more expensive?

Thanks.

Jacqui

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,050 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

On this site, $89 for first person, $9 for each additional person.

http://www.oahuairportshuttle.com/rates.html

This one is more expensive:

http://viptrans.com/turtle-bay-resort.asp

I would not stay outside of Waikiki if I didn't have a car except maybe Kahala Resort & Hotel as it would be less for transportation to & from. Kahala Resort used to have a free shuttle to Kahala Mall, Waikiki & Ala Moana Center. Don't know if they still do.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

I would contact the Turtle Bay Resort and ask them who they recommend for a shuttle from the HNL airport. They may have a contract, or at least a favorite.

Also ask if you they can arrange a car for you to use a day or two while you are there. How long do you plan to stay at Turtle Bay??

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

Thanks Dusty for that shuttle website, will probably book with them as I am sure a taxi would be more expensive.

BLBL I am planning on staying for 3 nights. Don't mind being stuck at the resort without a car for 2 days as we just want to chill out & unwind for the first couple of days. Will hire a car (if I can find somewhere to) for 1 day so we can check out the other beaches etc.

Thanks again,

Jacqui

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

FYI ..... taxi service from the airport to Turtle Bay Resort by way of Likelike Hwy (most direct route) and the east coast drive cost approx. $120.00 one way. Do the H-1/H-2 route will cost a bit more. Taxi drivers at the airport will do flat rate to Turtle Bay, but, be careful. They will do one way and promise to come back for you when you are ready to go to Waikiki, but, never show up because of the flat rate and the drive to go get you at Turtle Bay.

PM me and I will look for the infor on the driver that I have used that meets the arriving passengers at the baggage claim area and help with your bags to the car. An island born driver, you will get a tour as you proceed to Turtle Bay, regardless, of the route you take. The driver will probably take H-2 as it is the easier of two drives.

Enterprise rental car is available at Turtle Bay in the lobby.

On Saturday using Likelike Hwy, you will have no traffic.

Good luck,

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

I would re-think this and hire a car at the airport. If DH and I can exit Heathrow and navigate on 'the wrong side'...

Hundreds of people drive 'wrong side' all over the world, all the time. On a Saturday morning? Not at all difficult. Get a map and plan your route with your girls. Then you can enjoy the north shore and east coast in the car before you hit Waikiki -- where you won't absolutely *need* a car, and may not want to pay for parking.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

We gratefully learned about Star Taxi here on Trip Advisor and have used them on our last four trips with completely satisfactory results. In addition to providing a very competitive fixed charge of $30 to Waikiki Hotels, the cost is $85 each way to the Turtle Bay Resort per the following rate schedule:

http://startaxihawaii.com/

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

Thanks so much everyone for all your help.

I have bookmarked the taxi & shuttle websites for when I go ahead & book my holiday.

The Star Taxi sounds the way to go at $85 even cheaper than the shuttle.

I know it would be so much easier to hire a car at the airport but it would just be so stressful getting off a plane after a 10 hour flight & then have to navigate my way through all the traffic etc.

Glad to know I can hire a car when we get to Turtle Bay Resort so if I am confident enough may drive back to Waikiki!

I don't know what I would do without this website, its makes planning a holiday so much easier & less stressful.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Jacqui

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

Hi, just to calm some of your fears, I drove on the "wrong side" of the road for the evry first time a few weeks back going from Waikiki to Turtle Bay and the beaches such as Waimanalo, Sunset etc and I was fine! Considering Im used to manual cars, the automatic car we reserved at Budget in the Hyatt in Waikiki was very easy to drive and I took my GPS to navigate my way around the island. I would certainly hire a car again and it would be so much easier for you. The roads and highways were easy to drive along. It will probably be cheaper and we spent hardly anything in terms of gas, driving around the island took up about $7 worth! Its also a pretty easy drive to Turtle Bay if you choose the scenic, coastal route.

9. Re: Cost of taxi and shuttle to Turtle Bay Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2010, 05:18