We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

I posted this on the Maui forum but since we are also traveling to Oahu I am posting on the Oahu forum too.

I read on flyertalk that the ALPA has asked the federal mediation board to release the Hawaiian Airline pilots from negotiations and Hawaiian Air pilots have voted 98% to strike although no walkout are imminent. There is also a mandatory 30 day cooling off period which I assume would end sometime in late November.

Would passengers get their money back if there is a strike? It appears the pilots have been at the negotiating table for years. I am really worried about our spring trip. I have never been in this type of travel situation and since money doesn't grow on trees in my yard trying to scramble at the last minute to salvage our trip would just be too costly for my family.

Anyone else making contingency plans?

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

I would love to hear further deatils, especially since we are looking at booking Hawaiian for a dec 6 flight!

bc canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

We're flying Hawaiian Nov 13 & 22 so I think we'll be ok. I would love to know more info as well, everything I found on the web was from September.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

They've been in negotiations for almost 2 years I think. When I first read about this, I was "o boy, here we go" since we purchased our tickets back in March of this year. I've been looking at the business sections of both Honolulu Advertiser and Star-Bulletin and there's been nothing there about it for almost 2 months now. Let's just keep on hoping...

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

We are flying Hawaiian 12-05 and 12-10. Both inter Island flights. I sincerely hope we don't get caught in a strike (again). We did that with AA on the way to HI in '99.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

A search of Honolulu Advertiser had an October 27th article. Nothing more recent.

At this point, it sounds like both sides are being civil and following the rules

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

we are travelling to Maui on the 11/26 and returning on 12/8. I am thinking to purchase tickets with Go as a precaution at least on the 12/8 where we need to make an international connection. They is likley to be a demand on the tickets if the strike becomes a reality. Like you I will be watching the forum with interest - and hoping it doesnt come to anything

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
109 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

A little more info here:

beatofhawaii.com/hawaiian-air-first-class-or…

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

Here is more info via flyertalk in the link below. Looks like flights are safe through the end of this year anyway.

flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/10…

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

Any one heard any thing new about this?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Air pilot strike?

I've been trying to follow this without much success; we're heading for Hawaii in 2 1/2 months & have four interisland flights. As critical as this situation is, I'm surprised there isn't more media attention; or a update link on the official visitors website.

Near as I can determine, based upon what I've read (here and elsewhere), it does appear, as previously mentioned, that the earliest date would be toward the end of December.

What especially concerns me are the "Not to worry" analogies to the bankrupcy of Aloha Airlines; apples and oranges it would appear:

At the time of Aloha's demise, they had an interisland market share somewhere in the area of 40%. Hawaiian was able to cover about 1/4 of the capacity shortfall by placing a 767 into service. The remaining slack was compensated for by overtime and packing planes 100% vs the load factor of around 80% that Aloha claimed prior to cessation of service.

Among my readings on this subject was an article in Pacific Business News stating that Hawaiian's interisland market share was 65%. If that number were accurate, it would be an impossible gap for go & Island Air to relieve; I believe Hawaiian has 15 118 passenger 717's in service...go has 6 50 passenger CRJ's while Island operates 6 37 passenger Dash 8's. Simply assuming equivalent flight frequency, Hawaiian's available seats amount to 77% of the total and it's even more pronounced when you adjust for Island's flights to Molokai and Lanai.

To verify the preceeding numbers, I checked each airlines published schedules for mid-December. Hawaiian's capacity, as a % of the total available, were 87% HNL to OGG, 88% HNL-LIH & 80% HNL-KOA. Flights between Maui and Kauai/Kona were 85-90% dominated by Hawaiian. In short, a strike by Hawaiian Pilot's would create chaos.

So far I've come up with three alternative considerations (but enacted nothing yet):

1) Buying refundable tickets on either go or Island,

2) This one may sound far-fetched, but I think the situation could be made even worse when the impact the number of flights incoming from the mainland to neighbor Islands will have on the availability of accommodations. You will have visitors arriving at the same time people will not be able to leave. This would not present a problem if, for example , everyone arriving in Kauai on a non-stop from the mainland departed from Kauai, but my guess would be that many will have tickets connecting to another Island. Perhaps there are sufficient Hotel vacancies to house those stranded, but it would probably be a real scramble for which I doubt the state givernment has assistance contingency plans.

3) The semi-final item on my list of concerns would be for those holding Hawaiian mainland tickets. I would think Delta, United, American etc would have the capability to handle the traffic, but it would probably be a good idea for Hawaiian flyers to have knowledge of alternative flight numbers as well as 800 #'s on speed dial (my own direct experience with Hawaiian's call center in the Phillipines has been far from confidence inspiring).

I sure hope this thread prompts more discussion and solutions because if this situation isn't clarified by early next year I just may go into panic mode myself!

P.S. I was never a Super Ferry fan, but sure wish she were still around...anybody know of a place offering no drop fee kayak rentals?