We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Oahu Eats Article

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
Save Topic
Cheap Oahu Eats Article

Great list in the paper today...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100122/ENT04/1220307/Cheap+eats

Includes summaries of what they serve and their prices.

And it had high praise for the long-time local favorite Rainbow Drive-In, which is located on Kapahulu Avenue just a couple of short blocks out of Waikiki.

"Burgers for less than $3; plate lunches with one entree, two scoops of rice and mac salad for under $7; and a whopping meal of teri beef, mahimahi, chicken, rice and mac salad for $7.25. It's no wonder Rainbow Drive-In is still the go-to spot for cheap, satisfying meals."

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

Thanks.

Its a really good article about cheap eats.

Too bad that Honolulu Advertiser articles only last for about 6 weeks or so now. After that we can still view the article but only if we pay to do so.

Here's a link to their restaurant section's cheap eats from 2008. It has many of the same restaurants on a more permanent link. But you have to click on each restaurant.

…honoluluadvertiser.com/specials/…20Eats

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

Aw yeah DH Market & Grill! That place is so good, although they're right about the picnic tables having too much sun.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

>>Too bad that Honolulu Advertiser articles only last for about 6 weeks or so now. After that we can still view the article but only if we pay to do so.<<

I don't know about that, Dusty.

I just did a google.com search test using "Duke Bainum Mayor" and pulled up full articles from 2004.

Maybe that just happens when you use the HNL Advertiser search engine on their site?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,181 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

Maybe some of the older links are "grandfathered in".

I've found that all of my recent links to Honolulu Advertiser articles are no longer good after about 6 weeks.

On their site there used to be 3 months of back issues.

Now it is only 1 or 2 months. Right now December & January show up. But when February comes, December will disappear (I think).

honoluluadvertiser.com/section/backissuesfro…

Edited: 24 January 2010, 20:04
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

I do the same thing as KailuaMama....use Google instead of the Advertiser's site. I find many articles that way that otherwise one would have to pay for (and the Advertiser wonders why it's losing money??).

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

There might be a "back door" that enables one to reach the articles through another party, such as google.

I've found that when I can't access an archived article through the mother site (for example, a Time Magazine article through the search engine on Time.com) I can often sneak in by googling it.

Some sites insist that you must be a paid member to access their archives but do a google search and sometimes you can sneak in.

Don't know about the HNL Advertiser though. I do know that I hate their search engine. I always use google when I want to find something on the Advertiser site that I know I've seen there and it usually works.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,994 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

You are right Mama & SW, there is a back door right now. The same thing is true about the WSJ.

The NY Times says they are going to become pay site.

I wish they would figure out there is more money in driving visits to your site with content and then selling advertising vs. subscriptions.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

The NY times used to be a pay site and then they discontinued it. NY Newsday is now a pay site.

I don't bother with it anymore.

The newspaper sites are so loaded with ads and whirling dervish commercials that they're getting to be unreadable anyway. And what's with all the "blogs" on what used to be news sites reserved for respected journalists who actually had credentials??

Oh well. I'll just get my news through IP websites.

Oooops---off-topic.

Thanks for the "Cheap Eats" site, Amber!

It looks like if anyone wants to save it they should perhaps print out a hard copy and not bookmark the site?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
972 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

The Food Network's "Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives" will feature the Highway Inn on one of its shows. I haven't been able to find when it will air. Maybe all of us foodies can check on the schedule and alert us on this forum. Thanks for telling us about the cheap eats article. I've already printed it for our next trip to Oahu, which, hopefully, will be next year.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Oahu Eats Article

What?????? I thought eating out is "SO expensive in Hawaii!!"