We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Hey all,

It was suggested I post this over here.

I'll be in Maui for my honeymoon this year around the start of June for 2 weeks.

We'd both really like to come over for the day to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor as we're coming all the way to Hawaii for our honeymoon, so we wanted to fit this in too.

I've asked around there and found it's easy enough to fly out early morning, and then get a flight back in the evening sometime, so I've got that side sorted. It saves me paying for accomodation on Oahu as well as Maui on the same night :-)

So, we'd plan to get an early flight and arrive at Honolulu airport early-ish in the morning. Any suggestions for a good time to arrive to give us plenty of time at Pearl Harbor?

So, my main thing is wondering the best way to get from the airport to Pearl Harbor. I've heard renting a car is cheap enough, but I'd prefer to avoid renting here. Mainly because of the costs. Unfortunately as I'm only 23, it pushes the cost up somewhat. Then as the UK credit card companies don't give us insurance on car hire rentals, I'd want to add that on too (better safe than sorry, esp on our honeymoon), so it becomes pretty expensive unfortunately. And as I'm already renting for our stay on Maui, I don't want to rent for a day out in Oahu too.

Is there public transport that leaves and comes back often? Or is it fairly particular times? How much are we talking in terms of cost?

I wondered about a cab as well as google maps claims it's only about a 15min drive from the airport, so hopefully wouldn't cost too much? Are these easy to get there and back at pretty much anytime? Also, how much are we talking in terms of cost again?

Any suggestions on this would be muchly appreciated.

Can we and is it worth booking tickets for the different things on Pearl Harbor in advance, or do you have to get them in advance, e.g. for the Arizona memorial?

Do the inter island flights go up in price much nearer the time? Just wondering when to book?

Is it easy enough to spend pretty much a whole day at Pearl Harbor? Is there an opening/closing time or anything? What about places to get lunch/dinner, etc.?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've never been to Hawaii before.

Thanks,

Graham.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Aloha Graham, here is what I would recommend for you. Not knowing where you are staying on Maui, you will have options on your flight to O'ahu.

My recommendations is for you to fly out of West Maui (Kapula) Airport if you are on the West side of the Island (Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kapulua & etc.) and Kahalui Airport (main airport for Maui) if you in the central and east of Maui.

Being that you are coming at the beginning of June, I don't think you will have any trouble getting your tickets for the memorial. You might have to wait, but, time spented waiting can be educational where you can go visit the museum (don't forgt to ask for the audio tour - $5). When they call your number for the theater and the start of your tour to the memorial, you can stop your audio and switch it to the portion that will cover the memorial tour. When done, switch back to where you stopped and continue finishing the museum tour.

I tell people that if they visit the USS Arizona (beginning of the war) it is only fitting to close WWII with the visit to the USS Missouri. I will be visiting the USS Missouri in the next week or so with some friends from New York as I have not seen the USS Missouri since coming out of dry dock. I will share the experience when I am done.

While visiting the USS Missouri, I like to take the combo package that includes the Pacific Aviation Center. You may inquire about the combination package also when inquiring about the USS Missouri.

After spending all of the morning at the USS Arizona and USS Missouri, my suggestion is to take the city bus (TheBus) to Waikiki and enjoy the beach, shopping, restaurants and so forth. Plan a return flight back to Maui around 7 pm. Go have a decent dinner and catch a taxi two hours before flight time, back to the inter-island airport. Taxi fare will not cost you more than $40, depending on where you are in Waikiki to get to the airport.

Another suggestion is to go visit Iolani Palace, King Kamehameha Statue, State Capitol and City Buildings, downtown Honolulu. Get a transfer when boarding TheBus at PH. The transfer is good for two hours. You may transfer back to another bus (#2, #13, #19, #20 & #42) to get to Waikiki. Get off across the street from the Honolulu Zoo on Kapahulu Avenue which is the second to the last stop before the bus turns around and heads back ??????. You are now located on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki, the beaches are in front of you and when you are ready, you can make your way down Kalakaua Avenue to adventure and exployre Waikiki, until, your are ready to go back to the airport for your flight back to Maui-No-Ka-0ui!

This will give you a full day on O'ahu. Hope this helps, my suggestion.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Your best bet is to fly over to oahu early as you can't reserve tickets to the memorial ahead of time first come first serve they do the tours by group and you will be given a ticket with a # on it. I think the first tour starts around 7:30 and they start handing out tickets around 7;00.

You can take the bus or a cab to Pearl Harbor bus is cheaper 2.25 fare, cab will be quicker of course plenty of cabs at the airport they line up and the buses run frequently Oahu has a very good bus system.Then as suggested you can take the bus to waikiki to check it out and since you won't have any luggage you can take the bus back to airport.

Yes you can spend a whole day seeing all the things at Pearl Harbor my husband is living proof of that he goes there at least 2 times each visit he is ex navy and a huge WWII history buff. There is a snack bar there that sells hotdogs/chips stuff like that next to memorial visitor center and the Pacific Aviation Museum has a little cafe my husband eats breakfast there usually and says it is good.

I wouldn't wait till last minute to book flights when the cheaper seats sell out you are stuck with the higher fare

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

We just did this 2 weeks ago. My daughter is a history major and a trip to Pearl Harbor was a must. It's a long day to do it in one day, but totally worth it.

We took a 725am flight out of Kahului. It was a Tuesday and we really didn't run into much traffic. We rented a car and arrived at Pearl Harbor around 9am. Our tour was at 11am, but there was plenty to see and the time went by very fast. I would recommend renting the audio tapes for $6. They were well worth it. After that we went into Waikiki so our kids could get a look at it, ate a late lunch at Duke's and wandered around the city. We took a 7pm flight back.

I would recommend the Bus also since there may be a problem renting a car. We tried to get a tour to pick us up at the airport, but all the tours going to Pearl Harbor left at 6am, and most of them have pick ups at the Waikiki hotels.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

We did this last year...grabbed the 6:30a flight from OGG to Oahu rented a car...did the Arizona got there at 7;30 and did the 8:30 tour. did Bowfin and the Missouri. We took our time and were done by 2;30...our flight was not until 5:30..in retrospect..we should have done Punchbowl too....its a great trip and I would imagine taking a cab would be much more convenient if you plan to do punchbowl rent a car if not take a cab.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Hey,

Thanks for all the tips!

Will get flights booked soon and get them out the way. I think it's looking about $130 roundtrip per person. Does that seem reasonable? Is Hawaiian airlines the best bet?

If we happened to be finished much earlier than our flight home and were just tired and wanted to leave, are they likely to let you on an earlier flight without charging you anything (if there's spaces of course!)?

At that time in the morning, would I get a better view sitting on a particular side of the plane if I get the option? Is it pre-assigned seats, or sit where you want as you get with some smaller airlines? I've heard left side of the plane is better (when I say left side, I mean if you're standing inside the plane at the back of it, facing forwards).

How much do you think a cab will be from the airport to Pearl Harbor? I'm thinking the bus might be the best option for us, depending on how much the cab is. How often are the buses likely to run at that time?

Is there any sort of day pass worth getting for the bus if we planned to take the bus into Waikiki afterwards, and then back to the airport? On that note, how long should we aim to leave (from either Pearl Harbor or Waikiki) before our flight departs? Not sure how long it takes, or how long to be there before.

By the way, we're staying in Kihei on Maui, so would plan to fly from Kahului.

Is it just honolulu international airport we're flying into on Oahu, yep?

Another quick question, is it easy enough to find the correct bus to PH when we arrive at the airport?

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful info - I'll certainly be taking these notes with me and they are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Oh, just remembered another couple of quick questions.

I've been recommended to do the home of the brave tour - anyone done this? Do you think it's better than just doing our own thing?

And is there any particular day of the week you'd recommend? I'm just wondering maybe it's less busy midweek, rather than the weekend? Would that be better? It doesn't really make a difference to us which day, we can do any.

Thanks again,

Graham.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Can't help you with all your bus questions, but wanted to add a couple of things. You cannot get in the gate with anything that won't fit in your pocket. If you are coming for the day, planning on going to the beach or other, you can check a larger bag before entering. Just wanted to let you know because it seems to throw people off when they find out.

Definitely take the others advise and go to the USS Missouri. It is a fabulous tour. You will be there around lunchtime and the USS Missouri canteen (restaurant) is more substantial than the Arizona's and not very expensive. On some days, you can get a free "dog tag" with your name and date of your visit and the USS Missouri stamp on it. On other days it costs a dollar or two. Awesome souvenirs at both locations. At the Arizona Memorial, I bought flags that had been flown over the USS Arizona and a book about Pearl Harbor, complete with the autographs of the author and several veterans and survivors of the attack. That is one of the most wonderful things the memorial provides...access to veterans of WWII. You don't have to buy anything to have them autograph...just your program will work. They have a table set up next to the souvenir shop where they sit and talk to people and sign autographs. Ask them if they mind if you have your picture taken with them. It is one of my most treasured memories of last summer's trip.

Even after this tour, you'll still have lots of time before you need to be at the airport and there are tons of wonderful things to see and do on Oahu. I agree with a visit to Punchbowl Cemetary. Very beautiful and moving. The views from here are amazing as well.

Also, for cheap souvenirs, a trip to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet might be fun. They are open Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. Check out their website for other info. http://www.alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Hey Bips,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll keep those in mind.

When you say they won't let you in the gates with anything bigger than will fit in your pocket, what gates do you mean? For PH, or for the Arizona memorial?

I'll prob have stuff that can fit in my pocket (cell phone, wallet, keys to the condo and sunglasses probably) - so I imagine that'll be fine. My will be wife may have a handbag or something. What can she do with this? Do you mean there's something at the entrance to PH and she can check this in? What will that cost?

I doubt we'll be bringing much since it's just for the day, but just wanted to check on that one.

So on the arizona memorial, there are veterans there that are happy to chat to you, sign stuff and pics, etc.? That sounds really good actually.

(Hopefully someone else has bus info too :-) )

Thanks again,

Graham.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

I went to their website, which I would highly recommend you doing as well. http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm It states: Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring a camera and cam-recorder. A storage facility, operated by a private vendor, is available for visitors coming to the USS Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park, the Battleship Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum. The facility can be found at the entrance to the USS Bowfin Sumarine Park. There is a nominal storage fee. The storage facility is in operation daily 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visitors may use the same bag storage and parking stall for all three tours.

Pearl Harbor is the general area where the attacks took place. Within the harbor is the Arizona Memorial is where the visitors center, theater, USS Arizona, etc.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor

Graham, try www.TheBus.com for your bus info. The bus system on Oahu is fantastic and runs fairly smoothly. The airport is very close to the Arizona Memorial so it shouldn't take you long to get there. You can't buy a day pass but the fare is 2.25 per person. When you pay your fare ask for a transfer. This will be good for anywhere between 2-6 hrs to allow you one more boarding. After that, you will pay again, and then another transfer!! Since it is so close, a cab may be affordable also.

130.00 round trip per person is a good rate so jump on that. Hawaiian Airlines is the best airline inter-island. HNL, Honolulu International is the correct airport. You may get any earlier flight for return but more than likely they will charge you for it. It's worth asking them though!! Be at the airport at least 90 min. before your flights. How long it will take to get there from Waikiki will depend on what time of day you will be traveling and by what mode of transportation. In a car, during regular hours (not rush hour), it should take about a half an hour.