We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions/Advice requested...

eho
Twin Cities...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions/Advice requested...

If we arrive from Maui around 8:30 am, will we be able to visit the USS Arizona and get to the North Shore around lunch time?

Should we try to check into our hotel before (Outrigger Waikiki) and drop off our bags?

I see that a lot of people recommend getting to the USS Arizona as early as possible, so I'm concerned that if we don't get there until mid-morning, we'll have a long wait for the shuttle boat.

Thank you in advance!

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions/Advice requested...

Answer to your questions.

"If we arrive from Maui .............. get to the North Shore around lunch time?

The answer is NO. It takes approx. 100 minutes to do the USS Arizona Memorial Tour. Beside waiting time after getting your shuttle tickets, don't forget the time spented at the airport waiting for your bags and the time to rent your rental car. On top of that the drive to the North Shore (Sunset Beach Area) will take approx. 45 minutes. Add all the time up, I say you probably won't get to the North Shore before 3:00 pm.

"Should we try to check into our hotel (Outrigger Hotel) and drop off our bags"

I would say YES, and maybe try the USS Arizona the next morning and if your time is limited, do the North Shore in the afternoon after checking into the Outrigger.

"I see that a lot of people ................ we have a long wait for the shuttle boat".

I would say YES with at least 90 minutes to 120 minutes waiting time if you get there after 10 am.

My suggestion is to go to the Outrigger and check in. If time is a factor, go to the North Shore in the after noon. Take H-1 to Likelike Hwy and go counter clock wise to the North Shore and enjoy the drive while touring. The following morning, go to PH and wait in line NLT 7:15 am for tickets to the USS Arizona. The NPS desk opens at 7:15 pm to issue tickets to all waiting in line.

With that said, don't know what's on your schedule to help with other questions.

Good luck,

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions/Advice requested...

The issue is there is only so many tickets, they hand them out in groups for every 15 minutes as I recall. If it is a busy day you might not get it. Or they other senario is you will get tickets but may not be until the 2:30 group so you have to wait for several hours. But sometimes if it is not busy you can go right in. Hard to tell, that is why so many play it safe and just go early, clearly the summer months are much busier.

The other thing iis you do not want to be leaving your luggage in the car and walk away. Never leave valubles in the car, not in Oahu or any other island

eho
Twin Cities...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions/Advice requested...

Thanks you two for your feedback!

We're only in Oahu for two days and had planned on going to Kailua the second day. Would Kailua be better to visit in the morning or afternoon?

The three places we really want to visit are Kailua , the North Shore and USS Arizona.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions/Advice requested...

Go to pearl harbor early, then cut over to kailua on like like and circle around back to the north shore along the ocean. You could go to north shore before Kailua but that is the direction of most the traffic. Flying , checking in, pearl harbor and the north shore does not sound like a very fun day.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions/Advice requested...

Kailua and North Shore are very doable in one day and the drive up the windward side to the North shore is nice stop and see Byodo in Temple on the way it doesn't take long and is a very beautiful and peaceful place. You can come back down the middle of the island from North Shore to waikiki it's faster.

The parking lot at Pearl Harbor is patrolled by security so prabably safer than most places if you have luggage in the trunk.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,804 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions/Advice requested...

I would go straight to USS Arizona Memorial. The luggage will be safe there as long as you don't open the trunk. They also have a baggage check area for about $2-$3 a bag if you want.

When you finish the tour, you will know how much time you have left. Check into your hotel. If it is too early for that, you can just check your luggage at the hotel. Don't take your luggage around the island.

You'll probably have enough time to go to Kailua Beach.

That would leave you the second day to tour the rest of the island including the North Shore.

eho
Twin Cities...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions/Advice requested...

Thank you everyone for the advice. We just got back home from our vacation. We ended up going to our hotel straight away from the airport and drop our bags off and to Pearl Harbor by 11 am. However, the earliest we could get for USS Arizona was 2. That was fine though as we decided to see the Bowfin and Missouri to pass the time and we were glad we did. We even saw a US Submarine coming into port and a Singapore naval ship leave (very cool).

We got a later start the next day to the North Shore and drove to Lanakai instead of Kailua since I decided to do Stand Up Paddle Board lessons (very fun). Lanakai was very nice!

8. Re: Opinions/Advice requested...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 05:16