We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

Hello everyone!

We're thinking about bringing a GPS with us for our trip as we will have a car for six of the days that we are there - staying in Kailua. For those of you that have driven in Oahu, was it any easier with a GPS to guide you around the Island and tackle those freeways?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Tracey

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

Not an Aussie but we found it useful.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

I would DEFINATELY take a GPS! There was a group of us and we had so much trouble, our cars were through Alamo and we didn't get a directory or anything, we just had stupid info of googlemaps that didn't really help! when driving to wet n' wild, and then to the jw marriott at ko'olina or to the the North Shore, we got so lost so many times...so I'd definately do it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

I didn't mean to exclude others from posting btw. I realise GPS devices help lots of different people going to somewhere new. I thought it might be handy especially for Australians (and others) having to tackle driving on the other side of the road but the freeways and directions all at the same time! From what I have read on this forum, we should be fine with adapting and it's one of the things I'm looking forward to..drving around the island.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

We used my wife's on Kaua'i and did not realize how helpful in would be until actually using it. I would think on Oahu it would be even more useful. I would sugges tto be protective of it when parking and carry it with you rather than leave it in the car.

Edited: 25 February 2010, 22:53
Sydney
Level Contributor
152 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

Hi

We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Hawaii in Jan and we hired a car for that whole time. The maps provided by the car rental company was terrible and we relied on directions from mapquest and tourist maps. We managed but we did visit a few places we didnot mean to. The problems we had were the street names the words were long and hard for me to pronounce. I stuffed it up a number of times and by the time I had finished trying to see if the street was the same as that on the map one had more a's or i's but less k"s I had missed the correct street. On reflection yes I would have had a GPS but only for Oahu but not for the Big Island or Maui. It would have saved a number of disagreements.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

Well, you'll need a map of some kind. Whether that's electronic or dead-tree, it's up to you. We personally prefer a decent paper map rather than having to fiddle around with electronics, but that might be just us. Oahu isn't big enough to need a really detailed map, and the signs are pretty clear.

Washington
Level Contributor
298 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

Us mainlanders have used both and found the GPS to be the most helpful.

It's not so bad getting lost here as there are things to see everywhere,but we like to get where we are going less stressful,and some of the street names are not clearly marked,same as anywhere.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

If you have one that is small, and easy to carry, and that has US maps, so you don't have to buy them, then by all means, bring it. Since you're staying outside of Waikiki, it will probably be even more useful, as most highway signs on Oahu will point you toward Waikiki and/or Honolulu.

As others mentioned, do not leave it in your car and do not leave the GPS mount out where it can be seen. Around us, we've even had breakins where all that was visible was the smudge on the windshield, from where the GPS mount had been.

9. Re: Aussie Travellers...is it worth bringing a GPS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 06:17