We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

We're flying from Newark, NJ to Honolulu direct - 10 hours. We land around 6:00pm local time. We're staying at the Royal Hawaiiai and wondering....will we want to have dinner when we finally arrive, check in to the hotel and relax? We'd love to know how others have handled the first night of arrival. Were you exhausted and just went to bed? Or should we plan dinner and a bit of walking around?

Thanks much

Diane

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

Diane: What you do after you check in is totally up to you and how tired you are? 10 hrs flying is not that bad. The area around the Royal Hawaiian is a whole bunch of places to eat that are close by. My wife and I are 62 and have no trouble at all flying 12-14 hrs to a destination, arriving in the morning, checking in and going exploring all day and not crashing until that nignt.

I really don't see, though, how my personal stamina relates to yours. Just wait and see. Chuck...

Central MN
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

We get a surge of adrenalin after being couped up on the plane for our 8 and 1/2 hr (if we are lucky to get the direct flight) journey from Mpls. Waikiki will be hopping and you'll probably want to get out and explore a little. You probably won't get to you hotel prior to 7PM at the earliest. There are several food options nearby and if you just want a little something simple there are food courts at International Marketplace and in the shopping center right in front of your hotel, so you don't need to go far. It's hard to say what you'll feel like, but if you just want to take it easy and not over do it, I'd say just go with the flow. We have done this several times, and all I can tell you is that we don't plan anything too major that first night - but that's just us ( a couple in our mid-40's)

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

We too fly for 10 hrs., we always go to the Hula Grill/Dukes, after check in

, at the Outrigger next door-moderate restaurants.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

go to Dukes. we always feel a little out of place when we first get there. Go to Dukes, and boom the aloha spirit will hit you. You will be exahausted when you finally go to bed, but if you go to bed early you will be up at 3am with the time change.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

I would slip down to the Halekulani and the House Without a Key or Orchids or over to the Outrigger for Duke's.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

Hi Diane,

We take that same flight every year...

I can't say that you will necessarily be hungry as Continental does a good job with providing food and snacks during the 10 + hour flight. See how you feel by the time you get to the hotel, check in, get up to your room...

If you find you get that burst of energy after you arrive, you will be central to tons of places to grab a bite or a drink. It is good to try and stay up as late as you can to acclimate to the time difference. I can guarantee that you'll be up by 4am that first morning and longing for that first cup of coffee :)

Make sure you drink plenty of water on the flight and wear comfy clothes. Bring a good book... it'll help! Have a WONDERFUL time!!!

Aloha

New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

thanks so much for the advice!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

You will have lots of options ... but I agree with Scott. Mosey over to Halekulani (very short walk) and have dinner at House Without a Key. Great waterfront view, wonderful live music and hula ... and you have just have "pupus" (appetizers) if you want. They have some dinner entres as well, but the pupus can be substantial. Order a Hale Passion (it's a drink) for me!

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

Others have said Duke's and House w/o a Key, and I highly recommend both. I'd also add that Roy's is very close to your hotel and is exceptional.

If you are at the Royal Hawaiian then the Mai Tai Bar is a nice casual alternative.

Bay area, CA
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki restaurant suggestion - night of arrival

I love Roy's but I don't think I would do it on my first night. Too good a place when you are tired and may not be able to really get the most enjoyment out of this great restaurant.