We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire Knife Dance in Luau

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fire Knife Dance in Luau

My 6 year old son is fascinated with fire and a couple of years ago we saw the amazing Horizons show at the PCC and he slept through the whole thing (he was 3 then). I still don't think he can sit through the whole 2-hour show, so I'm looking for a luau that has a great fire knife dance and is interesting for kids (6 y.o. and 11 y.o.) Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

A fire knife dance has absolutely nothing to do with Hawaii. If you can find a luau that does a fire knife dance you can be assured that it is not an authentic Hawaiian luau.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,978 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

Aloha,

ASU, the OP (I don't think) was saying that a traditional luau was their goal.......and whether it's good or bad, most commercial luaus do include fire dancing (Samoan) and other Polynesian dances and traditions, too.

Dragon, I don't know of any luau that isn't going to be at least 2 hours long and include fire dancing. The Oahu experts can weight in, but offhand, the ones besides PCC would include Paradise Cove and Germaine's.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

I have been to Germaines and they have fire knife dancer not sure about Paradise Cove check out their website.

How about The Magic of Polynesia at the Waikiki Beachcomber they seem to have the fire knife dancer and magic tricks that your boys might enjoy. They have dinner and show otion or just the show. Website says show starts at 8pm. This would save you from having to drive out or ride the bus to the leeward side for Germaines or Paradise Cove.

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

Thanks for the replies. Just to provide a little more background...I know traditional luaus are also long, but because we're seated at the table, I can have notebook and coloring pencils to keep my son occupied if he is not interested in what's happening on the stage. Whereas in a dark theater type setting like the PCC night show, it will be a bit more difficult. The fire knife dancing is my way to bribe him to patiently sit through the whole luau. My husband and my daughter are very interested in going to a luau, so I'm trying to balance everyone's interest and abilities to handle different activities as much as possible. Any advice is appreciated!

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

swmarket and UNCMOM, thanks for the suggestions. I will check out Germaine's and the Magic of Polynesia Show.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,189 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

"A fire knife dance has absolutely nothing to do with Hawaii. If you can find a luau that does a fire knife dance you can be assured that it is not an authentic Hawaiian luau."

A luau is a Hawaiian feast, with or without entertainment.

Most luaus add a fire knife dancer as it is the best part of the entertainment at any luau.

All luaus have great dancing. What makes Polynesian luaus more entertaining is the variety of dances & the exciting fire knife dance at the end.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

If the Royal Hawaiian still has their luau you can sit out in the sand and see the fire guy for free.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,189 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

"If the Royal Hawaiian still has their luau you can sit out in the sand and see the fire guy for free."

They do. But on Mondays only. I don't know how visible their show is now from outside the venue.

There is a also a free show Friday nights at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Its free if you want to stand around the outside of the pool area. $20 if you want seating in the pool area. They have a fire knife dancer. It's a free show so don't expect too much. Fireworks on the beach after the show.

hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/resort_activities/…

vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

Dragontiger, I'm in your same boat. We are going to Oahu in late May with my 6 year old son and he absolutely loves fire and anything exciting related to it, so I know he will love the fire knife dance, but he is not a night owl (he goes to sleep at 8:00pm) and he can't stay still for more than 15 minutes, so I hesitate about bringing him to a 2 hour show at night. When are you guys going? Maybe you can let me know what you decided and how it went with your 6 year old! :)

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fire Knife Dance in Luau

longboard and dusty, I didn't know Royal Hawaiian have a luau...it would have been perfect as we're staying at the Sheraton right next door, except we arrive Tuesday and leave Monday morning, so we won't be able to catch their show on Mondays.

We'll definitely be at the HHV Friday evening as we are planning to watch the fireworks and if we can catch the fire knife dancer that would be a bonus!

CMiranda, we're going in mid-April for 6 nights. I'll let you know how it goes when I'm back!