We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

Phoenix
7 posts
Save Topic
Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

I have read that you need to arrive early if you want to snorkel at Hanauma Bay. Would we be out of luck if we get there at lunchtime? I was hoping the early morning crowd would be gone. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

If you drive, then get there before 9am to get a parking spot. Probably before 8:30am during the summer.

If you take the bus or one of the $11 shuttles, it doesn't make any difference.

I think if you drive & get there after 1pm or 2pm, the crowd may have lessened & parking available again.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

My family & I went to Hanauma Bay on a Sunday in July about 3pm. We had no problem finding parking and it seemed we arrived at the perfect time. Unfortunately, we were wrong. The afternoon is high tide. The water was so murky and we didn't see any fish. Also, the waves kept making the water get into our snorkels. I haven't dediced if we are going back on this trip, but if we do we are definitely going to get there early. Good luck with your decision.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

"The afternoon is high tide."

It changes daily.

Tide calendar Honolulu:

mobilegeographics.com:81/calendar/…2602.html

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

I don't think low tide would be much better. We were there and they said that day that low tide and high tide were about the same. No idea how that could be but that is what the worker running the video said.

Anyway, we found it very difficult to move around the coral. They said not to touch it (obviously) but it was almost impossible not to have to crawl over it to get anywhere. At times you could just barely float over it and others it was not. Once you are out beyond the "arch of coral" and strong current markers to deeper water the snorkeling was much better. We swam with a green sea turtle too which was quite awesome

We took the bus and got there about 11am and it was pretty crowded but not terrible

5. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 05:17