We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

I have heard that you can snorkel wearing mask over your prescription glasses? I really can't see without my glasses and want to snorkel. However, looking into a prescription mask is costly.

Did it work? Was the mask a good fit over glasses?

Thank you.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,585 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

Masks don't fit over glasses, although there may be a pricey over-glasses mask available. You don't need your specific prescription. Just get a optical mask with the closes diopter measurements. And remember that water magnifies something like 25%. I used an optical mask for years quite happily. I also wore contacts under a plain mask for quite a while.

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

I rented the special mask for my poor eyesight. The guy at the dive shop knew exactly what i needed and you try them in the store. It made a big difference from prior snorkeling, I could see fish and coral!! It wasn't much more to rent the optical mask.

~syd

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

Your mask won't fit over glasses. Whomever told you this, is just plain crazy!! Either wear contacts or get the prescription masks. You won't be sorry. Rental shops and dive shops are great in this area. They won't steer you wrong!!

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

I've never done it but what I hear is that you need an old pair of glasses - then you remove the legs. If you keep the legs on the glasses you'll never get a good fit against the face and the mask will leak.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,585 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

Don't even try with your glasses, old or new. Believe me, you'll be happy with the optical mask; no need for a special prescription mask. My eyesight was 20/880, and a heavy-duty optical mask worked just fine for me. Of course, I had to have the mask on to see enough not to step on people while walking to the water. :-)

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

You have to remove the arms and have a snug fit on the nose. The problem becomes they will fog up and if you move you head quikly they will fall off your nose. If you have your own mask you can mount the glasses to the inside of your mask. Custom job. Not worth it for one trip, but if you were going out everyday for a week. Now the issue becomes, they can fog up.

Sydney
Level Contributor
152 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

I rented a snorkel from I think it was snorkel BoB's. I went in and tried them on and they had a range of them for people like me who are short sighted with different measurements such as - 0.5 ect. You didnot need to know what you were you tested them out in the shop. I never understood what the fuss was about snokling untill I used this mask and WOW I sure have been missing alot and I loved it. They were only a little more expensive to hire than other snorkels.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

Aussie, you made me giggle. The snorkel is what you put in your mouth. The mask is what you put on your face!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
152 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

Sorry it was early morning here and my brain had not warmed up yet.

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
494 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone snorkel wearing glasses inside the mask?

I have tried it both ways. Snorkel Bob's Rx mask was great, even with my "coke bottle" prescription. Our last trip, I took the legs off my spare glasses, tested a few masks at the condo we rented, and one was a perfect fit, and that worked fine too, and I saved the $20..... to spend elsewhere. The key is that the glasses have to fit the sides of the mask snug, but not too snug. Of course, the nose piece has to be somewhere near your nose, which may not always be workable. Just give it a try. Fogging wasn't a problem, I put some of the anti-fog solution on mask and glasses.