We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking back from diamond head after sunset?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
walking back from diamond head after sunset?

Hi all.

Ok so our plan is to either get the bus to the start of the walk or start from waikiki the walk to diamond head. I see that theres lots of steps, a tunnel etc that we will undergo then we'll get to the top.

We plan to see the sunset from there but after that, is it an easy walk back? Obviously its dark, is it safe to walk back to waikiki or will there be services? or do we have to walk all the way down and then perhaps get the bus back to waikiki? Also is there lights if we had to walk back in the dark?

Thanks all

I tried looking previous posts but couldn't find the answers I am asking for now :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: walking back from diamond head after sunset?

It is absolutely safe to walk back to Waikiki from Diamond Head...

It is not that far, it is through a nice, safe residential neighborhood and commercial district.

There are streetlights and sidewalks all of the way.

You will see lots and lots of people out walking in the early evening. Walking around Diamond Head is a favorite exercise route for many folks who live in Waikiki/Diamond Head/Kaimuki.

And, once leaving the crater, it is virtually all downhill or flat after the first quarter-mile.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking back from diamond head after sunset?

A bigger wrench in your plan is that the latest you can get on the trail is 4:30 and the gates are locked at 6, so seeing sunset isn't possible. However, I used to live down the street from the entrance and it is 100% safe walk back to Waikiki from there. I'd also recommend taking the bus up to the entrance if it's not too much of a bother. It's mostly uphill, and then from the entrance to the trail head isn't a short distance either. I used to see a lot of hot, tired looking people walking by my building.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking back from diamond head after sunset?

ok maybe I should have asked this in the original question, but what time should we leave waikiki beach to walk to diamond head for the sunset?

We are going to be at aston waikiki beach hotel so just wondering the time we should leave if we plan to walk there. would 3pm be ok? how long would the walk take so we get in time for the sunset? 1.5 hours maybe?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking back from diamond head after sunset?

As stated above, your plans may be foiled to view the sunset from Diamond Head, see attached brochure from the State of Hawaii (no entry to climb after 4:30)...

hawaiistateparks.org/parks/oahu/index.cfm…

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,347 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: walking back from diamond head after sunset?

It is impossible to see the sunset from atop Diamond Head. The earliest time the sun sets in Honolulu is 5:48pm. That is the first part of December.

Because it takes 20 minutes to get down from the top & another 10 minutes to get through the tunnel before 6pm, you cannot do it. You would have to leave the top at 5:30pm at the latest to ensure you are out of the park before they close the tunnel.

You could see the sunrise from atop Diamond Head from mid November to mid February. Though I don't know if the sun wise rise over land or water from that view point.

It will take about 40 minutes from the tunnel to get to the top.

www.sunrisesunset.com

You could walk up Diamond Head Road to the lookouts near the lighthouse for sunset.

6. Re: walking back from diamond head after sunset?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 06:17