We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing Light

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Packing Light

The recent airline fees for luggage had us thinking, "why do we usually take so much stuff anyway?" So, inspired by The Amazing Race, where they pretty much travel with a large backpack we are going to attempt some super light packing. If I need to bring a large suitcase then we will but now it's just become a challenge to see how little we can actually take. We are a family of 4 headed to Oahu, staying at HHV where I am pretty sure they have washers/dryers we can use. Planning on buying shampoo, hairspray, sunscreen, razors, etc from ABC store. Wondering what fellow TA users would suggest to bring. Besides the obvious articles of clothing, (shirts, shorts, swimsuit, etc) I am thinking a light jacket, one pair of long pants, one pair flip-flops, one pair of tennis shoes, toothbrushes, hair brush, and anti-perspirant. I figure anything else we need we can buy there but am I forgetting something? We wouldn't really need to bring formal wear would we? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing Light

Good luck! It seems like we always end up with more than we planned. You won't need to buy shampoo unless the HHV's stuff is not good, which I doubt.

Don't forget - cameras, cell phones, chargers, mp3 players, reading material for the plane, snacks for the plane, etc. You probaby don't need formal wear, my husband wore an aloha shirt, nice shorts and sandals to even the nicest restaurants on Kauai.

Michelle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing Light

Amy, the flights I booked have 2 of the 4 of my family with only carry-on only and when I was booking I thought just like you did - why do we bring so much?

In hot weather the clothing you wear is normally lighter and smaller anyway so we are taking up the challenge as well!

We're taking a fold-up barrel bag (if it fits) to bring home our outlet shopping efforts.

Things to not forget are: phone and/or camera chargers... and if you do forget anything, well, you're in Hawaii where you should be able to find anything you forgot!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing Light

Wear your long pants and sneakers on the plane to save space in your bag. Use a small backpack for your "personal item" carryon. You can use it later as daypack for hiking. Pack at least one T-shirt less than you think you'll need; you'll undoubtedly buy at least one here.

Remember to bring any meds you'll need.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing Light

Please do a search on packing. On any of the Hawaii forums. There are tons of them, long ones, with great information.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing Light

I go with the rule of 3. Do not take more than 3 of anything. T-shirts, collared shirts, shorts, footware. I don't even bother with long pants, anymore. There are very few restaurants that require it and I never get cold in Hawaii. I also don't bother with a jacket. Unless you're going to up to high elevations or get cold VERY easily, you just don't need it.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,847 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing Light

We don't bring long pants either. Hawaii is hotter than the beach town we live at in CA. We do bring light nylon windbreakers if we plan to go on a sunset catamaran ride, but they roll up in a very small space in the back packs. The six of us take rolling carry on's and each a backpack or beach bag for purse. In those are our medicine, cell phones, camera's and chargers.

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing Light

Every trip I go on, I vow to pack lighter..... and still bring home unworn stuff. I don't take a jacket to Hawaii, usually only a sweatshirt, more for after I leave the airport, on the way home .... where it might be snowing! I also take one pair of long pants, for wearing on the plane only. (The light nylon windbreaker idea may be a better option, than a sweatshirt....hmmm).

I am continuing to work on the challenge of cutting back on our 2 sets of golf clubs, to keep them, 2 bags, & 2 pair of shoes under 50 pounds (I combine this all in one golf bag cover.) With increasing weight restrictions, my wife and I are now down to 8 or 9 clubs each, though..... we always used to take 14 clubs each. But you know, I can't say that playing with fewer clubs hurt the old game too much.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing Light

Our family of 4 (which includes 2 teens) each takes 1 rolling carry-on as their "main" piece of luggage, which we take on the plane, along with one "personal item" (see last paragraph below).

I roll all our clothing items individually and place them snuggly into 1 gallon ziploc bags... I squeeze all of the air out before zipping. For pants or cargo style mens shorts I use 2.5 gallon bags... but we don't take pants to Hawaii. Each person has a sock and underwear bag, a t-shirt- bag, a shorts bag, etc. There is always enough room in the carry-on bags for quite a few of these stuffed, airtight, ziploc bags.

Each person wears a pair of tennis shoes on the plane and packs one pair of sandals or flip flops... for my daughter and me, that means ones that are flexible enough in style to be worn with both shorts and skirts / dresses. I bring a small bottle of woolite (I pour just enough for our trip into a drinking water bottle and place it in a ziploc bag in case it were to leak) to wash things out in the room, if needed (or I buy it when we arrive). We hit the laundry mat once every 7 days or so, as needed.

We, of course, pack the other necessities mentioned above... camera, cell phones, chargers, hair brushes, toothbrushes, etc. One ziploc bag per person, on average, is more than enough.

This is what we each take for our "personal item" on the plane: I carry one of those plastic lined, zipped cooler tote bags with shoulder straps (from Costco) as my "personal item", instead of a purse. Inside I carry things for the flight (reading material, snacks) as well as a small purse or wallet that I will use on the trip, our travel items (tickets, passports, etc.) and anything else we need with me on the plane. Later I use the tote at the beach or in the rental car, with some ice, to carry drinks and sandwiches. My kids each carry a backpack as their personal item, which we use on the trip for beach towels, etc. and then later to carry home souvenirs. My husband carries his laptop in a computer bag as his personal item.

We bring the same quantity of items whether we travel for a week or a month!

Carole

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing Light

Clarification to my post above... the items we bring (1 carry-on plus 1 personal item each) are carried on the plane and stowed in the overhead bins. We never check any items whether traveling for a week, or a month. As a side benefit, we never have an issue with lost luggage!

Edited: 14 June 2010, 03:11
New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing Light

Very smart, my beau and I are planning the same. If we absolutely have to we will share one check in item as we plan on bringing our alcohol with us. Is this a good idea or is the liquore about the same in Hawaii?