We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HWAK questions

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
HWAK questions

I have happily booked our trip to Oahu for Dec 18-25. Although this will be our 5th visit, I do have quite a few questions beginning with the HWAK. I definitely want to go there for dinner and the music. How far in advance should I make reservations and can I request that we sit on the right side so the sun is at our backs? Also, is the spaghetti really good?

Kudos to posters that replied to the special night thread for so much valuable advice and more kudos for noting that you can save posts. I've been writing suggestions on little slips of paper that I then lose. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HWAK questions

I give up, what's HWAK?

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HWAK questions

House Without A Key... :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,441 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HWAK questions

Aloha,

"House Without A Key" at Halekulani, Rex. Mailboo....check the web link I posted in the other thread-I don't think HWAK takes rezzies, though I may be wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Halekulani Hotel
Halekulani Hotel
2,665 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HWAK questions

The House Without a Key doesn't take reservations for tables. Your best bet would be to arrive as early before the evening music begins and see if you can't get a certain table that way. I personally don't care too much for the spaghetti.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HWAK questions

hah! And we've even been there a couple of times!!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,760 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HWAK questions

Glad someone else asked what it meant.

I formed a group called "stop acronyms now" or SAN for short.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HWAK questions

Initially I didn't see anything about reservations for the restaurants on their website. On looking closer. you can reserve for LaMer and Orchids up to a year in advance. So I guess HWAK doesn't need rezzies. The music is from 5:30-8:30. How early do you think I should show up for a good table? I won't blame anyone if I get a spot in the parking lot. But I don't want to sit there from 2 on if 5pm will do.

Mentioned in this post
Orchids
Orchids
1,312 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HWAK questions

Some thoughts...

1. You will be there at the winter solstace, so the sun will be as far south in the sky as it is all year. It will make for a fantastic over water sunset, but will result in an atypical angle for the late afternoon sun and an earlier sunset at about 7:15.

2. It will be a very crowded time of year when you are there.

3. The view is really beautiful from a few seats at any table. None are terrible. And, at least I think, it is the ambience of the whole place which makes it special. It's not like at Duke's where it is a different experience between the rail and interior tables.

4. I consider HWAK as a pupu and salad joint. A great place for an intimate light lunch or afternoon drink with appetizers. The rest of the menu is good, but really not so special.

Edited: 26 July 2010, 20:42
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HWAK questions

I would get there --- 5:30 ish. There are tables for eaters and tables for drinkers. Let's do that again: There are tables for folks who want dinner and for folks who are OK with a little "cocktail" table for drinks and pupus. The "table" tables are in a covered, semi-enclosed area generally. This is why I usually go early-ish ... to get a table that is more outside than inside. 'Hope this makes sense. Take your time when you get there. I have never, never had wait staff rush us. Excellent service, BTW. And I do like their dinners. Some of the pupus are "substantial" and go well with a salad.

BTW, Bill -- very funny!

Edited: 26 July 2010, 20:52
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HWAK questions

Bill, you're a hoot! ;-)