We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat on my 40th birthday

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat on my 40th birthday

There seem to be so many excellent choices in Oahu for great dinners and it's hard to decide where I will go to commemorate my 40th birthday. This is my first time to Hawaii and I want to minimize the risk of being disappointed. I'm a steak lover. II'll be staying at Outrigger on the Reef and would prefer something within walking distance and where I can get great cocktails. It will be just me and my partner. Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Aloha, Oregon
Level Contributor
127 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

We celebrated my 70th birthday 9/8 in Hawaii. We had an excellent meal at Ruths Chris just minutes from the outrigger on Beachwalk. Steaks were the best we've ever had and they gave us a nice birthday "surprise" dessert. They have an early bird dinner for $39 which is good in Hawaii.. We also had excellent dinner at "Ocean House" right in your hotel. Lobster dinner was 2 tails and they were also excellent. Happy Birthday!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

If I were going to recommend a steakhouse, it would be Hy's, which is exquisite. It is very old school, dark paneling and the works.

But you are in Hawaii, it is a shame to waste million dollar settings. You can get great steaks in San Antone, you can't get views of Diamond Head with a gentle trade wind blowing through the restaurant.

Go next door to the Halekulani Hotel for sunset cocktails at the House Without a Key followed by dinner at Orchids, which does a great steak.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

Even though Orchids is known for being a seafood restaurant, they have a really good steak. My husband ordered it last month. It's a very special restaurant right by the sea, you'll always remember the setting and your 40th Birthday.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

I've eaten at Hy's, Ruth Chris, and a few others, and by far my favorite so far has been Alan Wongs Pineapple Room! The view and location aren't beach side BUT the FOOD is an absolute experience!!! A reservation is a must and if you tell them it's your Bday they print a special menu with your name and the reason for the celebration! It was an amazing meal from service to food.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

Good advice-I am adding a couple of my own-Mortons's Steak House, the Beach House at the Moana Surfrider-this is the old Banyan Veranda, great view and atmosphere, they take pride in their steak and sea foods, However, as a restaurant, I prefer the Orchids-instead of a cocktail at the House Without a Key stop at the Top of waikiki-get a panoramic view from the revolving restaurant, then take a pleasant walk to the halekulani for the Orchids-you can watch the performace at the House Without a key if you ask for a table outside on the Diamondhead-enjoy!

Champaign, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

Dukes at the Outrigger on the Beach...

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

Thank you for the reply. I'm two months late replying but as you can see I'm still preparing for my trip to Hawaii which is in February (for my birthday). I think I will consider Alan Wong's (thought I have read mixed reviews) for another meal if not my birthday. I already cashed in some American Express points for a $250 gift card from Ruth Chris (hopefully that will be enough for my party of two, lol).

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

Thank you for recommending Dukes. Yes, I had heard of that place from a couple at my job that made a trip and remembered that place, especially for the energy and vibe. I will definitely be stopping by.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

Thanks for your recommendations and also your insight! Yes, you make a good point that I can get a steak at home, but the views of Waikiki are not to be missed. Based on your and all the other replies, I think I'm going to have a series of birthday meals all day.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat on my 40th birthday

Thank you so much for the great tips. The places you've described some really great. I'm partial to margaritas but I think I'll have to try some mai tai's when I'm in Hawaii and I think the places you recommended may have some of the best. Thanks again!