We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stop or not to stop that is the question

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
To stop or not to stop that is the question

DH wants to vaca in Oahu this December. I welcome the experience but the thought of a 10+ hour flight gives me major anxiety. Now I have no FEAR of flying but I do HATE being confined to an uncomfortable seat for long periods of time. All of my flights thus far have been four hours or less and usually by then I am more than ready to get off of the plane. Friends who have traveled to the island have told us that first class is the only way to go. Bummer because there is no way we can afford it...this trip will be on a budget. Alright enough background...now to the point. I guess this is a question for frequent flyers. Would it be better if we booked a non-stop direct flight for this trip or a flight that offers one connection? Is it better to just get it over with so to speak or make a stop to be able to stretch and walk around? Or is the hassle of making connecting flights (checking in, security, etc) all over again make it not worth it?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

Connecting flights are a disaster waiting to happen. It's too easy to miss a connection or to find your connecting flight delayed. A 10 hour trip can turn into a 24 hour trip. As if those possibilities aren't bad enough, you face two opportunities for the flight to be delayed on the runway.

The flight is going to be unpleasant, no matter what you do. Just grasp the nettle, book a nonstop, and try to get up and walk the (miserably narrow) aisles as much as you can.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

i'm not crazy for long flights either. try 14 hours nonstop to certain parts of asia and that's from the west coast....ugh! i have to agree with kaleberg, though. the connecting flight situation can become a nightmare. i'd tough it out....bring a book...try to sleep....walk around when possible.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

When I fly back to the mainland, I always have at least one stop. I can't afford to fly direct and where I go, unless I drive to Denver, there aren't any. I usually fly from Honolulu to either Las Vegas or Phoenix. Sometimes LAX. to Colorado Springs. I've flown once or twice a year for the last 10 years and have never been late or missed a connection. Most of the airlines now a day's code share so you can check your luggage in to your final destination so there is no going to get luggage or going through security more than once. I also make sure I have at least 2 hrs. between flights. Now, can't tell you whether a direct flight is right for you but stopping at least once, to me, is no big deal!!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

Direct flights are the way to go!! With connections, it just makes your total travel time that much more! With long flights, 1st class is definitely the way to go,.....IF you can afford it, which I rarely can! With a 10+ hour flight, I would just try to sleep most of the time.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

If you can get an overnight flight, you could get some sleep, and that helps the time go faster. We have an 11 hour flight to Europe from LA, and I always book a 5 PM flight, so we can have dinner and then sleep, usually with the help of a sleeping aid. This last year, there was not a non stop to Rome, so we had to stop in NYC and change planes during the day. I liked that too, getting out and walking around was helpful.

I guess it depends on what airline you book with, and what the flight schedules are. It is easier to fly in coach if the seating is 2x4x2, so that you can have a window and aisle. Some flights to the islands are 3x3, and it's hard having that middle seat for a long flight.

As for the connecting flight, you don't have to go through security again, the airline changes your luggage to the next flight, and you walk over to the gate and wait for your flight.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

drugs are the answer, I could never figure out how some people would sleep like a rock on a plane, then I figured it out. Not my thing but some swear by it, ask your doctor.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

Just get on with it. Get aisle seats across if you can. Then you can get up and move around.

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

Hey longboard...its funny that you mention drugs. I was actually going to take a trip to my Dr. before the flight and ask for a prescription for what idk but I just want to take something wake up and be there already. I took two Advil PM's on my last flight and they didn't do a thing I still wasn't able to sleep on the plane and I had a whole row to myself!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

The Doctor can give you an Rx for Ambien. There are two sizes, one for 5 hours sleep and one for 7 hours. You don't feel groggy when you awake. It's very gentle.

Before that I tried all the Advil PM's, Tyleno PM, etc. and nothing worked.

Best to try it out a couple nights before the trip to see how it works for you.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,288 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To stop or not to stop that is the question

December! I would avoid connections at all costs. Tough it out.