We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

Which gives you the most bang for your buck? As the designated travel agent for our family **sighs** I am responsible for budgeting our vacas. We will be staying in Oahu for 9 days...really 7 if you factor in two travel days. Should I go with the go card (3, 5 or 7 day), the explorer pass, or the entertainment book? We don't need restaurant discounts we have plenty of gift cards from our credit/debit card points. The purpose is to mainly cut down on excursion and entertainment costs while on the island.

Hide
Travellers interested in this topic also viewed...
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

Why buy any of them? They are advertising that you are paying for! There is NO guarentee that the activities (or whatever) they are offering are handy, good quality, legit, or even still in business. You certainly don't want to plan your vacation around a bunch of ads, do you?

In the luggage area of the airports there are tons of FREE promotional booklets and brochures. Some activities give you a discount if you book on-line ... there are other ways to save money ... other than spending money.

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

Huh! Interesting.....

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

I have to disagree with BLBL.

I buy the Entertainment Book every year.

Lots of great coupons for attractions & restaurants.

Polynesian Cultural Center coupon alone pays for the book.

Some of the coupons in the free magazines are the same as ones in the Entertainment Book, but most are not.

When are you going?

Because the Entertainment Book coupons expire on November 1, they start discounting the book around February.

By May they are down to about $15 including shipping.

You can also get the online monthly membership for about $5. Same coupons. You print the ones you want.

There is a link to the monthly membership on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k358451…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

Dusty -- you LIVE in Hawaii. You have a whole year to use that puppy. And you have the background knowledge to sort the good stuff from the bad.

usa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

Can you tell us how the 2 for 1 coupon work for the PCC? Can we use it with any packages and can I use the coupon to buy it online? On the PCC website, it says we have to buy the ticket at least one day in advance.

On the EB website, it says the PCC open from 12:30 - 6pm but what if we would like to stay for dinner? We are interested in the Alii Luau (or perhaps the budget friendly Admission/Show/Dinner) - does the coupon cover this?

Any suggestions on how to get to PCC from Oahu and back at night?

Lastly, any suggestions on restaurants/eateries within walking distance of Kanekapolei Street?

Thanks!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

meg - you should really post separately. And do a search or simply scroll down the Oahu Forum, as there are always questions about PCC.

Most visitors stay for the evening show, as that, in my opinion, is the main draw. You can book a package that includes pick-up and drop-off at your hotel on Waikiki, or close to it. Unless are making a short day of it, I highly recommend the pick-up service. It is narrated. And the ride from Waikiki to Laie is about an hour. The show gets out late, and you will be tired. (And we always got lost in Kaneohe for some reason!)

I think that the coupon helsp with any of the packages, but the new 2011 E Book is out - and things may have changed. I would call the PCC and ask them about the use of the Entertainment Book coupon. Go straight to the source on this one. "The PCC is open until 6:00" - they are most likely referring to the villages and common areas.

About restaurants on Waikiki ... post separately or scroll down the Honolulu/Oahu Forums. We talk about restaurants constantly.

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

Hey Dusty,

We will be traveling during the first couple of weeks in December and staying for 8 days. I know everyone says PCC luau is way better than Germaine's. But I was watching Guy on Triple D and they went to Germaine's. I figured that the Go Card pretty much paid for itself with the luau being included.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,630 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

The villages are open until 6pm. The evening show starts at 7:30 pm.

In you get the Admission/Evening Show package with the free buffet you cannot use an EB coupon. They added the free buffet for this package about a year ago.

You can use the EB coupon for that package if you want to get it without the buffet.

You can use the EB coupon for any other package.

You have to phone reservations to use EB coupons for any attraction including PCC.

1-800-367-7060 toll free

(808) 293 3333 not toll free

For Mrs_Yar

PCC has by far the best entertainment in Hawaii. But it is best if you can spend the entire day there.

Germaine's is OK.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

I'm not a luau kinda girl ... but having read too many posts, I have come to the conclusion that people don't go to luau on Oahu for the food. Some go to drink themselves silly ... or for the entertainment ... or just to be outside on a lovely evening.

Dusty disagrees with me, but I think the food at the PCC is awful! It's a shame, because otherwise, the place has alot of class. If the buffet is free - sure, you can find something - but don't go to Germaine's or PCC thinking that the luau food will be the pinnacle of your trip. The entertainment is the thing ... and PCC does it best. That being said, you need to juggle your funds and your time. It's Hawaii - have fun!

usa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu Go Card vs Explorer Pass vs Entertainment Book

thank you dusty and BL...