We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving questions.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving questions.

MY Nephew offered to let me drive his brand new car when i visit this summer. The only problem... I hate driving when i'm not familiar with the area. It doesn't matter how well I study a map, even though I will study it well.

Is driving around difficult, are there a lot of one way streets etc..? From 1- 10 how difficult is driving in Oahu and Waikiki 1 being easy?

I guess i will do all of the out of the way things like hiking, North Shore, Island circle tour with him. Nervous about parking in isolated places with his car.

Hope he doesn't read Trip Advisor.

Thanks for any information.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving questions.

Relax..if you can drive in a major east coast city you can drive in Honolulu! Yes there are 1 way streets and you need to be aware they "cone off" parts of streets during rush hour every day. AND Honolulu has the very worst "redlight-runner's" I've ever encountered, just count to 3 after the light turns green. All that said it's really not bad driving if you are used to urban driving at all. When parking just leave nothing in the car...just like going to the mall!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,496 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving questions.

Ditto to what mamma said.

In addition, there are not too many main roads on Oahu.

Your first day will be about a 5 in Honolulu & Waikiki. After your first day it will be about a 2 or 3.

Rush hour in Honolulu especially on H-1 will be about a 7. So try not to get stuck in rush hour. It really isn't that bad but will double your time & get you frustrated just like rush hour anywhere.

Outside of Honolulu it is a 1 or 2, though there may be some traffic problems. One of the main problems in driving around the island is that the beaches are not well marked. So if you want to go to a particular beach it may take a little longer to find.

Oahu Revealed has many good maps.

You can get a good used copy for as little as $.75 plus $3.50 shipping. Half.com is an eBay company.

…ebay.com/Oahu-Revealed_W0QQmZbooks

Driving Tours, Maps, North Shore, Websites & more:

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g29222-Oahu_Hawai…

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving questions.

Thank You so much for the website half.com never knew about it, and Oahu Revealed, and putting my mind about driving somewhat at ease

The Hawaii forum has a wonderful group of helpful people. Thanks.. much appreciated

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving questions.

This is a great time of year to pick up a resonably priced GPS unit like a Garmin. I have had one several years now and it takes all the pressure of driving to a new place. We took it to Oahu last Feb and it worked perfectly!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving questions.

What is the quickest way to drive from Turtle Bay Resort to Pier 2 in Honolulu? Thanks! (Oh and it will be on a Saturday afternoon -- leaving Turtle Bay Resort at 3 PM.) Any input greatly appreciated!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving questions.

drama - you should post your own thread.

camke - where are you staying? The Honolulu area can be confusing -- so do read your map ahead of time. GPS is a good idea if it makes you feel more comfortable. Know that they BUTCHER the Hawaiian street names. The "where in the h*ll am I?" button on my iphone phone has been a great, great help to me this week in Honolulu. I also invested in map book --- but you may not want to go that far.

Get a good map. Like from AAA.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 23:42
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving questions.

It's just me, but I don't buy used travel guides unless they are the latest edition. Oahu Revealed - 2010 edition. Things change - and sometimes the changes are major.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving questions.

We now travel with our Tom Tom portable GPS unit...to unfamiliar places.

It is amazing how simple it is to use...and takes the stress out of having to consult a Map if you missed a turn.

It is also terrific for POI (Points of Interest)...restaurants etc...takes you right to the door.

Gives you a clear display of how much further before you reach your destination.. Easy to use.

9. Re: Driving questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 06:17