We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Lost" Trip Report

nj
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
"Lost" Trip Report

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. We based our time in Oahu on the filming sites from "Lost" and we had an amazing time. Our "Lost" focus really helped us to see the entire island and places we never would have otherwise found. And of course, we did some other fun things too.

Day 1--arrived, checked in at Turtle Bay Resort. Ate dinner at Ola on the beach.

Day 2--Ted's Bakery for breakfast, Waimea Falls (to see Kate & Sawyer's waterfall), Mokule'ia Beach (plane crash site), YMCA Camp Erdman (the Others' Village) which was completely surreal, Police Beach (survivors' beach camp), Waialua Sugar Mill (Mr. Eko's Nigerian village), and then cleaned up and went to Nobu in Waikiki for dinner and dessert at Liliha Bakery (the "diner" where Kate met her mom)

Day 3--2 hour ATV tour at Kualoa Ranch which was without a doubt, one of the best parts of the vacation. Saw amazing sites, "Lost" and otherwise, and drove through the set of the Journey to the Center of the Earth sequel which is filming there. It was raining but that only added to the fun. Also did the ocean voyager tour there which was cool too. Then had shave ice at Aoki's in Haleiwa and headed back to Turtle Bay for dinner at 21 Degrees North.

Day 4--spent the day at Turtle Bay and tried to see the famous Banyan Tree but they were filming Journey 2 there as well (!) so we were blocked. Went to Alan Wong's for dinner and had the vegetarian tasting menu which was delicious.

Day 5--breakfast from Ted's, Byodo-In Temple (where Sun & Jin got engaged), hiking at Makapuu Point (Other's camp), Hurley's mom's lottery house, brunch at Orchids, "Desmond & Penny" pics at Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, then Diamondhead.

Day 6--finally saw the Banyan Tree at Turtle Bay, snorkeled, had lunch at Haleiwa Eats and shave ice at Matsumoto's, stopped and saw sea turtles on the beach, went into Honolulu to see the convention center ("Sydney Airport") and Ala Wai Canal where Jin and Sun first met, then off to the airport and headed home.

I think that's it--we had a phenomenal time, despite rain for the first 3 or 4 days, and are looking forward to coming back someday. Thanks again for the tips and recommendations! :)

Manoa Falls
Hiking Trails, Waterfalls
Waimea Valley
Gardens, Parks, Valleys, Waterfalls
Maunawili Falls
Hiking Trails, Waterfalls
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

Good report. You saw so much more than just the normal touristy places. How great is that!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

Please..... say you have pictures to show us

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

Nice trip report.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

Great trip report and for Lost fans, what fun!

My son's 6th grade campout was at Camp Erdman, it was wild as he and I were huge fans. Of course, I wasn't invited - but he had a blast.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

What (if anything) did you use as your guide for finding and exploring the "Lost" sites on your own?

nj
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

We did lots of research online to find the sites but here are two that we used primarily:

…about.com/od/…lost_locations.htm

http://www.lostvirtualtour.com/

I have tons of pictures (no surprise) but I have to figure out a way to post them and then I'll happily share them.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,059 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

Nice approach for return visitors who say they've seen "everything." In a couple years ... a Hawaii 5-0 tour of Amberloo's neighborhood!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

We saw much of what you saw last Aug. I watched "Lost" the first year, but gave up on it. Our adult son was a real fan and recogonized the filming sites. As we drove around, he'd say, for example, at the Byodo-In Temple, "that's where Sun and Jin got engaged", etc.

Thanks for the report, I'm going to copy and send to my son.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

Great trip report! What were the dates of your trip? We just returned, and when you mentioned the rain I wondered if our trips overlapped as we had two days with lots of rain.

Most people just post their pictures on Webshots or one of the other free hosting sites and then post the link.

Weren't the views of the ocean from Kualoa Ranch beautiful?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Lost" Trip Report

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Liliha Bakery - please tell me you got the "coco puffs" there - they are to die for and something that almost everyone when making an off island trip tries to hit up - so yummy!

I have a friend whose son was the set photographer for "Lost" - it was good fun every week when I saw them at work (they are crafters) to get caught up on what location was where on O'ahu - I wish I could remember now where the Middle Eastern "set" was where Sayid was in one of the last 2 seasons.

"Lost" was fun, and unlike "Hawai'i Five-0" - it wasn't supposed to be set in Hawai'i, so it was always great to watch and see places you recognized - and even though I live on Kaua'i, I got a lot of them!

I kinda miss "Lost" - oh well heck, I miss Sayid (Naveen Andrews) - let's face it! Got to meet him once over on O'ahu and I've never met anyone more "swoon-worthy" or elegant and gentlemanlike - he took so much time to talk to me and give me a lovely kiss and a picture together (swoon again!).

"Hawai'i Five-0" just isn't doing it for me - I'm glad that Daniel Dae-Kim got to stay on in Hawai'i with his part in it - but other than Grace Park - they could get rid of the two leads and I sure wouldn't miss them - like nails on a chalkboard those two! Okay----off topic for sure now!

Mahalo for your fun report - Kualoa Ranch is an awesome place that gets so much film and TV work it is amazing!! Beautiful, beautiful place! Fun to hear about all the places you got to visit!

Malama Pono,

Janet