We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in East Oahu

Seattle
Level Contributor
301 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging in East Oahu

My husband and I are considering a trip to Oahu in mid-March for about a week. I am not sure if I want to stay in Waikiki. We don't aren't interested in nightlife, or shopping, but we'd want to make sure we have access to yummy food =) I am now considering maybe renting a place in East Maui. We want to do some of the touristy stuff like PCC, Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor. But we also really enjoy hiking, beaches, and just doing something different that maybe not all tourists do.

Does anyone have any lodging suggestions in East Oahu that would be nearby beaches? We're kind of on a budget, and I wouldn't want to spend too much over $100 a night. Is this possible?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in East Oahu

Have you ever been to Oahu?

The vast, vast majority of accomodations are in Honolulu/Waikiki. If you want lots of "yummy food" - you want Honolulu. That is a very low nightly budget - again, there are budget accomodations in Waikiki.

Oahu is not all that big - and you can easily drive to the more rural sections of the Island.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in East Oahu

It sounds like you are looking for something on the Windsward side. There are no hotels on this side, but lots of vacation rentals, with plenty of the small ones within your budget. Many people use VRBO.com to find rentals. I just booked my Maui trip using this site.

I can see why you wouldn't want to stay in the bustling city. Some love it and some hate it - it's not for everyone.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in East Oahu

Take a look at the offerings in Punaluu on vrbo.com. I really enjoyed my stay in a condo at the complex "Pat's in Punaluu". It is right on the ocean, with beautiful views and a reef-protected beach for swimming. It is close to PCC, so if you stay there you can take advantage of their ticket that allows you to return on other days. Much nicer than wearing yourself out with one long visit. It is also convenient for visiting Kualoa Ranch and the North Shore. Condo quality varies GREATLY! Look carefully at the photos.Some are very nicely upgraded and some are dumps. Good units are available for $100-$125 per night. There is no central reservation system so you would be renting directly from owner or owner's representative. If this sounds interesting to you I'll dig up the vrbo listing #'s of a few units that I know are good.

By "yummy food", do you mean fine dining? We drove to Turtle Bay and Kaneohe for nicer restaurants, but liked a couple of nearby casual places.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in East Oahu

Given the way this rainy season is shaping up....

And the predictions this will be an abnormally wet winter in the islands,

One should be very cautious about vacationing on the windward side of any island until about mid-April.

Sometimes Kailua is in full spring/summer mode by early March, many years not.

Far less chance of your visit being spoiled if one stays on the leeward south and west sides of an island which are significantly warmer, dryer and less windy than windward locations.

On Oahu, that means Waikiki or the not-so-desirable Waianae Coast

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in East Oahu

I totally agree with amberloo, look to the leeward side and since I don't recommend staying on the Waianae Coast that leaves mainly Waikiki. The east side of Honolulu is a very expensive, exclusive area. How about a hotel on the east side of Waikiki. You won't be in the middle of the hustle and bustle but yet, still close enough for that yummy food.

Seattle
Level Contributor
301 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in East Oahu

Thanks for everyone's replies! We are still debating between March or May. I would kind of prefer May if the flights drop in price. =)

BLBL - No I haven't been to Oahu before, but my husband has, though that was when he was 10! Yummy foods = poke bowls, and hawaiian foods. Foods we can't get easily on the mainland.

Kailuamom - Yes the Windward side looks really nice. I've been looking at vrbo. Many of the ones with lots of reviews are booked already.

Barabar5353 - I'll check out Pats in Punaluu. If you have other suggestions that would be great! Thanks! And in terms of yummy foods, we'd like more cheap eats, hole in the wall places. =)

Amberloo and Msfuzz - thanks for the suggestions. That's right, it could still be overly wet around there during March. Maybe it'd be better if we end up going in May. I'll also look into East Waikiki =)

7. Re: Lodging in East Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2011, 05:19